Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Celtic Advent - Day VIII - November 22

 


Celtic Advent - Day VIII - November 22


Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be. 

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

It's hard to believe that we are already nine days into this forty day time of preparation for the Feast of the Incarnation. But, here we are. 

I confess that, as I look at the calendar and consider that I've just committed to 40 of these meditations, I'm a little overwhelmed. I mean, I assure you, I do have an outline of what it is I want to address. 

The first ten days, we have spent talking about a pilgrimage and Advent. The second ten days we will be moving into talking about The Incarnation - the first one. 

The third quarter is designated to talking about where we see Christ alive in our lives as well as what we think we might expect when Jesus comes again in the Parousia. Finally, we'll talk about the celebrations of Christmas - of our childhood, what we observe today and what we might want to change, subtract or add.

I thought, before we go any further in this journey together, I might stop and answer a question some of you have asked me privately (I love that you do that, BTW. Thank you.)

Several have mentioned that, because of the pandemic, they can't get out to their favorite retreat house. Or, that they like to stop off at this or that favorite church and just sit for 10 or 15 minutes on the way home from work. 

Or, that working at home - which they thought, at first, would be GREAT! - has so blurred the lines between work and home that it's hard to separate time for work and time to just be home, much less designate a time and a place for prayer. 

And, as always, I'm thinking of the people I've met over the years who are poor, who don't have the luxury of a "place" to designate as a sacred space, much less a "time" to set aside for prayer. A "retreat" to them is a luxury they can't even imagine for themselves beyond working two jobs just to feed their family and afford living in a small apartment or three bedroom single-wide trailer home with three generations of people. 

So, I thought I'd spend this time just talking about how to set aside a time for a retreat. 

First, it IS important to make a commitment of time. If daily is impossible, then look at your calendar and see what is. It might just be once a week. Celebrate that! That's more than you had before you looked. Make a commitment to that - to yourself and to God. 

Write it down on your calendar. No, I'm serious. Actually write it down. Use "ST" for Sacred Time or RT for Retreat Time. But, write it down. In bold letters. Something happens when you do that. Somehow, it makes the commitment real - as real as other things in your life that you don't want there and they happen anyway. 

Second, create a space. Find a space in your home where you can bless as your retreat space. It may be a chair tucked in the corner of a room, or a folding chair and table where you might do your journaling. It might be a seat at your kitchen table. Or, it may be your side of the bed. I've known some people who sat on the bus on their way home from work, closed their eyes and silently blessed the space surrounding them. Others, have blessed the space they were walking through on their way home from school or work. 

Do the best you can do with what you've got.

Create a short little ritual to dedicate that space. You might want to sprinkle the space with water. You might want to bless the space with a prayer, even if it is simply, "I bless this space as sacred space." You may add something like, "God, I ask you to be in this space with me, to open my soul to you for insight, knowledge, inspiration, creativity, reconciliation and healing."

You may want to dedicate it before each use. My friend on the bus did that. Or, having done it once, you may feel it has been blessed and continues to be blessed by your prayers.

Beginning with a meditation is always a good way to start. Keep yourself still and allow the stillness to sink into your body. Take a few moments to feel yourself breathe deeply. Imagine that the breaths you take are coming to you from Ruach, the Holy Breath and Holy Spirit of God which sustains life and, in the beginning, created order out of chaos.

I posted a favorite meditation at the beginning of this post. I say it three times: "Be still and know that I am God." Before I say it, I take a deep breath and, which each inhale, I try to visualize healing energy entering my body; with every exhale, I try to visualize the tension and pain leaving my body. And then, I actually try to be still. 

Another of my favorite beginning meditations is to inhale and say, "Here." And then exhale and say, "Am I." Here Am I. It's what Adam said in The Garden after he had eaten from the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. It was his first response to God, which is prayer.  

Finally, on very busy days, I inhale and say/think, "I am enough." I exhale and say/think, "I can not do this alone." Again, I try to visualize healing energy entering my body with every inhale; I try to visualize the tension and any pain leaving my body with every exhale. 

And then, I let the brief prayer I have said sink in through my body and down to my soul. Sometimes - especially of late - I find that I am placing my hand over my heart as I meditate and breathe. It helps me to be aware of my breathing and my body, and allows me to feel the rhythm of my lungs and heart. A very holy sense. 

If I am home, I try to light a candle at the beginning of the session. 

Practice self-compassion. Imagine a close friend sitting next to you. Imagine what that person would say to you, words of encouragement, without judgement. Say those words to yourself. Be your own best friend. It also helps you to be a best friend to others. 

Now, imagine yourself at a doorway. If there is a door and it is closed, spend some time looking at the door - its color and texture and design. Does it have a widow or is it solid? Is it old or new? It is good to be curious in this space. 

Then, open the door but pause on the threshold for a few seconds. Know that as you cross this threshold, you will be entering into a liminal kind of time - kairos, the ancients called it. Know that in this time, in this new space, you will be able to encounter both challenges and grace. Know that you are being invited to rest in unknowing and that something will be revealed.

Know that you are safe. Nothing will harm you here in this space.

When you are ready, step across the threshold and again, be curious about what you see. What do you smell? Taste? Hear? Allow yourself some time to experience where you are. Welcome joy, excitement, fear, trepidation, anxiety, and whatever else is rising in your soul. 

Make friends with those emotions and invite them to be companions on the journey with you. Yes, even anxiety and fear. Ask them to be your teachers and your guides, for all of these emotions have a gift they will bring to you, if you open your heart to have compassion on yourself. 

Offer a prayer here for whatever your heart's desire is for this time of introspection. Speak from your heart to your soul about what you are longing for most. Ask for what you need. Don't be afraid to be bold and audacious. Nothing is impossible here. 

Remember this place. Know that it contains everything you need to navigate the landscape here. Know that there have been other pilgrims who have traveled in this space; some of them are here with you now. Don't be afraid to ask them for guidance or advice. 

Make a commitment to return to this place as often as you can. When you feel ready, open your eyes and pass through this liminal space back into the outer world around you. 

Spend a few moments journaling, if you can. Reflect on your experience. 

I have worked with some people who find that anointing themselves before beginning this time of meditation is very helpful. I have done it but I, personally, tend to save it for "The Big Questions". I don't know why. It's just what feels right to me. 

I use various oils for various reasons. If you haven't already, you may enjoy exploring and discovering healing oils and various fragrances. I'm especially partial to lavender. I find it soothing and relaxing. I often use it at the bedside of my Hospice patients which helps them and their families. Sometimes, I have used peppermint, especially if I want to awaken my senses and be especially awake and aware of what I'm going to experience.

Some people anoint their entire body, starting with the soles of their feet. I anoint my forehead, asking that my mind be opened.  I anoint my open palms, that I might receive what I need. I anoint my heart that it might stay open and be filled with compassion for myself and the world. And, sometimes, I anoint my throat, that I might find the courage to speak my truth and the greater courage to be quiet until it is time for my truth to be spoken. 

There are a few other hints and tips along the way but, if you've never practiced meditation before, this is more than enough to get you started. If you've meditated in the past but have fallen out of practice, I hope this has given you some inspiration to begin again. If you are skilled at meditation, perhaps you'll leave some of your own hints and tips in the comments.

Someone commented that it's obvious that I've put a lot of thought and work into these daily reflections. Actually, I can't say that I have. I use this meditation and then, out come the reflections. Sometimes, the words come so quickly it's hard to keep up. Other times, I lose track of time and, when I look up, my computer screen is filled with words and I'm not exactly certain how they got there. 

It's how I've always prayed. Well, for the last few decades. I hope it sparks something in you. 

Here's tonight's meditation, one of my favorites. I imagine Mary singing it as she did her chores around the house. It is no wonder her own song is a reflection of Hannah's song.  I imagine Jesus heard her singing it as he was being carried in her arms. He was raised to know and love and embrace justice and joy. 

It's a good song to sing on this journey to discover the justice and joy at the heart of the Incarnation of God.

The Song of Hannah (I Samuel 2:1-8)

My heart exults in you, O God;*
my triumph song is lifted in you.

My mouth derides my enemies,*
for I rejoice in your salvation.

There is none holy like you,*
nor any rock to be compared to you, our God.

Do not heap up prideful words or speak in arrogance;*
Only God is knowing and weighs all actions.

The bows of the mighty are broken,*
but the weak are clothed in strength.

those once full now labor for bread,*
those who hungered now are well fed.

The childless woman has born sevenfold,*
while the mother of many is forlorn.

God destroys and brings to life, casts down and raises up;*
gives wealth or takes it away, humbles and dignifies.

God raises up the poor from the dust;*
and lifts the needy from the ash heap
To make them sit with the rulers*
and inherit a place of honor.

For the pillars of the earth are God's*
on which the whole earth is founded.

Onward!

No comments: