Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Like a child

 



St. Mark's Episcopal Church - Millsboro, DE
Pentecost XVIII - Proper XX - September 22, 2024

Track 1

Proverbs 31:10-31
Psalm 1
James 3:13-4:3, 7-8a
Mark 9:30-37

Some of you may already know – and, if you don’t, you will soon discover – that Ted, your new Priest in Charge, is a big fan of Amy Jill Levine. Huge. I don’t know what he has in store for your Advent Christian Education Series, but I am willing to bet solid money that it – and/or a few of his sermons – will at least include some of Amy Jill Levine’s work.

There is good reason for this. Amy Jill Levine rocks. Hard. AJ (as she prefers to be called) is Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies at Hartford International University for Religion and Peace. Yes, I said, New Testament AND Jewish Studies. If you stop and think about that for a minute, you’ll see that it isn’t so strange.

The Gospels are all about the teachings of a Rabbi from Nazareth and the Epistles were written by Jewish men. Who better to help us understand the teachings of the Rabbi we follow than a good Rabbinical scholar?

I’ve heard AJ lecture several times. She’s really good: smart and funny and edgy and provocative. She’s a lot like Jesus. During one of her lectures, Levine told us about her son. He was a little boy at the time. He had curly hair, she said. Altogether adorable. Imagine that little boy is sitting in the front row every time you preach, she said. Right there in front of you. Never say anything that will harm that little Jewish boy.

I remember that statement so vividly because I remember preaching in front of my own kids when they were little. I remember thinking that I never wanted to preach a sermon that they would be ashamed of – or that would shame any one of them. Or, that wouldn’t be the truth spoken from my heart. Never say anything that will harm a little child.

In this morning’s gospel, Jesus takes a little child by the hand and says to the disciples, See this child? This child right here? This is what the reign of God looks like. THIS, not some old man or old woman with a crown sitting on a throne.

I know what you’re thinking. Children don’t have any status. They are little more than chattel, which can be bought and sold like the women who are their mothers – despite what we read this morning from the Book of Wisdom about wives.
And yet, this is what the reign of God looks like. This is who the reign of God belongs to. So, says Jesus, wise up and welcome them.

But, the disciples, it seems were pretty clueless. There are 16 chapters in Mark’s Gospel. We’re at chapter 9 – more than half way through. Jesus has said and done lots of things. Amazing things. Astounding things. Miraculous things. And yet, the disciples don’t get it.

After Jesus explains to them – albeit in the third person – about what is going to happen to him, Mark tells us that they had been arguing among themselves about who was the greatest. Seriously! Apparently, the boxer Muhammed Ali was not the first to concern himself with the status of the greatest. Apparently, he isn’t the last. Probably won’t be, either.

I imagine the disciples look at themselves rather sheepishly. I mean, who started that conversation anyway? Was it Peter? Nah, he really hadn’t been the same since Jesus changed his name from Simon. It had to be the Sons of Thunder, James and John. They might have been thinking, “Why did we allow ourselves to get caught up in that discussion in the first place?”

That’s when Jesus, rather than rebuke them, takes a little child by the hand. Maybe the little boy or girl was standing nearby. Maybe playing with a toy. Maybe minding her own business. Maybe paying close attention to the energy in the room. Jesus takes that little one and puts her center stage. I imagine the room goes silent.

Taking the child in his arms, Jesus says to the disciples, “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.”

You see this child? This face? These curls? Keep them in front of you, Jesus says. Let them be your guide to my reign. Don’t do anything that will hinder or harm them. Look to them first, before you speak or offer admission or try to describe what I came here to do. This little one is all you need to know about that. Keep her safe. Keep him safe. And know that whenever you welcome one of these little ones, you welcome me and the One who sent me.

Not a lot of churches I help out in these days have a child – much less children – sitting in the pew. Sometimes, when I look out at you, sitting there in the congregation, I try to imagine your faces when you were little children. If you see me looking at you while the Hebrew Scripture or Epistle is being read, that’s probably what I’m doing.

I imagine some of you were probably as mild mannered as you are today. But, there are others of you . . . . well . . . . I’ll just say this:  You didn’t develop that devilish smile or that mischievous twinkle in your eye just yesterday. And I suspect some of you were born with one hand on your hip and no one had to slip a nickel or a dime into your hand to persuade you to be bossy.

I see the child in you. The playful child. The mischievous child. I also see the child who was bullied. The child who was shamed. The child who never thought she was good enough. The child who thought he’d maybe make the team but he’d never be accepted.

I never want to hurt that child.

When I preach to you, I know that I am not only preaching to the person you are today – the person you have become – I am also preaching to the child you once were. That happy child and that hurt child are also here in this church this morning, maybe minding their own business or toying with my words, paying close attention to the energy in the church right now, trying to determine what “Mother” will say or do next.


As I prepare to preach the Gospel – the Good News – to you, I remember all of your faces and I hear Jesus whisper in my ear: This – THIS – is the realm of God. This – THIS – is what God’s reign looks like. Do everything you can to challenge them to take risks for the Gospel, but keep their souls safe. Protect them even as you encourage them to stretch themselves in their faith.

 

And, if they fall – when they fall – do everything you can to make sure someone – maybe not you, probably not you, probably not even a deacon or a priest or a bishop – but someone in the community is there to pick them up and dust them off and help them back on their way.

For that is what the realm of God looks like, too: The people of God helping the people of God to be better people of God. And that takes the vulnerability and openness of a little child. It also takes the resilience of a faith tested by time.

So, take a minute now to look around this church. Look into the faces of your neighbor sitting next to you or in front of you or behind you. Go ahead, I invite you to do that now. I invite you to say to each other, “You are an image of God.”

And now say, “This is the Reign of God.”

You know, it helps to listen to good Rabbis, those who are Jewish, those who are Christian, those who come to teach us the word of God not as one who is the greatest, but from a place of truth and love in their hearts.

Amen.

No comments: