Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Blessed Assurance

Many of you have asked me how I am doing. Am I getting rest? Am I okay?

I am deeply touched by your concern and the many, many offers of prayers.

I am still broken hearted about the injustice my beloved church committed in the name of 'unity' which seems a fickle, if not false god. But, I am healing. And, here is what is helping: gratitude.

I am deeply, deeply grateful for the love of my congregation, for the work of ministry we do together in the name of Jesus, for the community we have together, which is about a classical example of Anglican autonomous interdependence you can get at the local church level.

Oh, and Lenny and Coco, who greeted me with a five minute sustained joy-filled, unconditional love riot when I walked in the door on Thursday night.

As I type this, Lenny (Brisco - the punk from the South End of Boston) is snuggled at my feet. CoCo (Channel - the Upper East Side wonder pup, AKA "Ethel Fuzzbutt" when she hangs with the Bridge and tunnel Crowd in North Jersey)is trying to persuade her brother to go into my office where she has a stash of toys.

I have rediscovered that gratitude is the best balm for a broken heart, providing such deep joy as the apostle's knew.

We'll get through Canterbury's "Upstairs/Downstairs" Covenant creation, we'll weather the homophobic storms together, and get ready to fight the good fight another day not too far into the future.

Until now, rejoice with me that God is good, Jesus is our savior and the Holy Spirit is still around to guide us - it's just that she's really pissed.

I've just learned how to do this - here's a picture of CoCo and Lenny.

5 comments:

Mata H said...

Ah, if the church could just be more like our dogs. . .

Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

I have a vivid memory of the Mrs Slocombe character from "Are You Being Served" stating, indignantly,

"After all, on 'Upstairs, Downstairs,' the best parts were downstairs!!!"

Even though we are at totally opposite ends of the church spectrum, I thought you'd appreciate the humor in that.

Mike in Texas said...

Elizabeth, you needed that break to get your batteries recharged. There's a lot of work ahead.

Besides, we all need to spend more time with our dogs. ;)

Mike in Texas said...

mata h,

I've often said that the world would be a much better place if only humans could be more like dogs.

Lisa Fox said...

I'm glad to hear this, Elizabeth. You have been -- and will remain -- much in my thoughts and prayers.

And thanks for maintaining the blog. Yours is a much-needed voice in my life and our church's.

Every now and then, sing to yourself, "I've got peace like a river, peace like a river, peace like a river in my soul." You do, you know. You just have to let it wash over you.