Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Legacy


No time to write a whole lot this morning, so I nicked this from OCICBW which was sent in by mi amigo, Dahveed.

I am still fuming over the loss of Ted Kennedy's seat in Massachusetts to someone who supports torture and does not support universal health care.

As if that weren't enough, there was this article in this morning's NY Times, which begins:
President Obama signaled on Wednesday that he might be willing to scale back his proposed health care overhaul to a version that could attract bipartisan support, as the White House and Congressional Democrats grappled with a political landscape transformed by the Republican victory in the Massachusetts Senate race.
"Might be willing to scale back"????

Are you kidding me? More than he already has?

I am sure there is a committee somewhere right now that is working on a monument to the Obama administration.

Whatever it is, it's going to have to have the ability to please everyone on both sides of the aisle while leaving everyone frustrated and angry. It's going to have to not offend anyone while being deeply offensive to all. It's going to have to promise change while offering the same-old-same-old wrapped up in a "colorful" new package.

It's going to have to offer hope while throwing many into despair.

I know the hole left by the previous administration is very deep and wide. The Bush Administration's legacy is one of rampant greed, insurmountable debt, hideous torture, wide-spread discrimination, and two unnecessary, stupid wars.

Admittedly, that's a lot to have to turn around in one year.

My grandmother used to say that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Will the real Mr. Obama please stand up? You know. The one I and many of us voted for?

Somebody find him, please, and throw him a shovel.

He seems to be getting in deeper and deeper every day.

I would hate to see the Obama Monument be that of a statue of him at the bottom of the Dubya Monument, broken shovel in hand, still calling for hope and change.

I wouldn't go visit.

It would break my heart.

2 comments:

Bill said...

The "well-to-do", do not normally give 2 cents for the poor. Ted Kennedy was an anomaly.
The ball was lofted into the clear blue sky over Hyannis Port and the people of Massachusetts dropped it.

Jane Priest said...

Besides some really stupid things that people on both sides of the aisle have done, I think what we are seeing here is the natural (?) backlash that comes with progress. Phyllis Tickle talks about this in *The Great Emergence.* I believe we will make progress toward the Kingdom of God little by little. I do have hope (but I'd love to live in a society like that in Denmark). BTW: we need to write to him -- or to Michelle. It should begin with "Stop pleasing people and LEAD!" You and I and many clergy know the difficulty in that.