Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Farewell, Fairbanks Inn

These are my old (well, but young at heart), dear friends, Alicia and Kathleen - two very angels who rescued me from myself and helped me to heal.

They are the owners, the "Inn Keepers" of the Fairbanks Inn in Provincetown, MA.

Two more generous, loving, kind people you would be hard pressed to find on Planet Earth - or, in fact, any planet in the galaxy.

They took me in, gave me space, loved me, and treated me like visiting royalty.

I owe them a piece of my soul. I will be forever a grateful debtor. (And at least five pounds heavier.)

This is also a shameless plug for their Inn. When you come to Provincetown - especially in the "off season" (they are crazy busy otherwise, thanks be to God, so book early) - please consider staying with them.

You will love their hospitality - fresh homemade muffins, Alicia's own granola mix, yogurt, great coffee and fresh juice - and, if you're lucky, they will tell you stories of their Great Inn Keeping Adventures.

You will not be bored. Hand to Jesus.
Oh, but before I go on, let me introduce you to the incomparable Randy Roberts, who does Bette, Celine, Cher and, of course, Lady Gaga.

She works hard for the money.

We met her on our nightly walk through Commercial Street. She's playing at the Art House this season. Don't miss her.

Okay, let me continue.  What you don't know about Kathleen is that she is an attorney. A very good attorney. Used to work for a major corporation in New York.

What you don't know about Alica is that she is a professional musician. Violin and Viola. She is phenomenal.
Through the movement of the Holy Spirit or Serendipity, or whatever whimsical, inspirational spirit was aligning in the cosmos yesterday, Peter Donnelly, a local artist and musician, called Alicia to see if she wanted to play.  You know.  Jam.  Improv. No music.

What you don't know about Alicia is that "PPT" (pre-Provincetown), she would rather have chewed ground glass than say yes to such an invitation.

Alicia is a professional. Put any sheet of music in front of her and she can play it.  Give her some time to practice and rehearse and her playing will make you weep.

So, Alicia?  Just "jam"? Inconceivable!  Except, she does.  She's amazing.

Of course, her internal self-critic kicks into overdrive and she'll tell you she was awful, just awful, but I have to tell you that, for as long as I've known Alicia - and, it's gotta be at least a dozen or so years - I've never seen her beam like that when she plays.

It was almost as beautiful as watching the light play on the ocean.

Another "This!" moment - right there in front of Provincetown Hall.

I posted a few video clips on my FaceBook page last night. I don't know how it works on Blogger but I'm going to try and post a very short clip below.  If it doesn't work and you're on FB, go visit my page and check it out.


I'm leaving this morning to head back to New Jersey.   Got church on Sunday.  I'm sure I don't get compensated nearly as much as Ms. Randy Roberts, but this girl works hard for the money, too.

I am so grateful for this time here at the "end of the earth," but mostly, I'm grateful for old and dear friends.  A wise person once wrote, "You can't have too many old friends."  I think that's right.

I'm just grateful today for these two.

My other favorite saying is, "If you're lucky enough to live by the water, you're lucky enough."

If you've got old friends who live by the ocean, you are blessed.

You are most blessed, indeed.

Hand to Jesus!

2 comments:

Elaine C. said...

so the off season would be when?

whiteycat said...

Sounds great! If I'm ever out that far on the Cape i will head for the Fairbanks Inn,