Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, December 03, 2011

And the word became flesh...er, umm... "meat"...er, umm... "butter"....

Maybe it's because, this year, my family isn't celebrating "Little Christmas" until January 21st and I've got some extra time on my hands.

Maybe it's because I've got a Really Warped sense of humor.

My friend Marcia sent me a link to this site "The 27 (and growing) Worst Nativity Sets".

I can't stop laughing.

Seriously.

I mean, I know St. Paul said to the Church in Rome that "faith leads to works" but, I mean, Really?

He also said something about it being "better not to eat meat or drink wine than to cause a sister or brother to stumble" but I don't know if that includes Nativity Scenes made out of sausage and bacon.

I don't know if Jesus is laughing hysterically or shaking his head in dismay.

Check out this little number to your left.

Yup. That's butter.

I'm not sure if this is an act of devotion or an exercise in ..... well..... butter.

My question is, how do you keep the thing cold throughout Advent?

The thought of a rancid butter Nativity on Christmas Day is........

.........Well.......

I think that might cause more than one sister or brother to stumble.

 Here's one made out of cupcakes 


And, another carved out of Spam

If perishable Nativity Scenes are not your thing (and, why would it be?), you can always get ones with various animals.

  This "Pig Nativity Scene" is not very "kosher" - but I have to admit that I am rather fond of the pink pig angel - over to the left. The one with the pink and white wings. However, I must say that the pig donkey, sheep and camel are vaguely disturbing. 
I suspect more than one or two Levitical codes have been broken in this scene.

Some things might be said about Mary being a pig - or even Joseph or (gasp!) Baby Jesus - but I don't think anyone wants to go there. 

There are lots (and lots, and lots) more animal scenes, but I think the winner of the whole contest is this piece called "Mexican Nativity Scene".

Now, I've been to Mexico and I don't think this is actually a "Mexican Nativity Scene". At least, I haven't seen any Mermaids and Mermen - much less Merbabies - in Mexico, but then again, it may have just been that I had an inexperienced tour guide who didn't take me to the right places.

I know it's popular to call people not from the United States - especially Mexico - "aliens" - and we love to call them, "illegal", just in case the "alien" doesn't make the point for you. 

But Mary, Joseph and Jesus as Merpeople? That's pretty alien - and might just be illegal -  but I don't think that's very Mexican.

Obviously, this is a nativity scene that was made in Mexico. By a Mexican. Who is neither "illegal" nor "alien" but who has a really amazing imagination - not to mention an eye for .... umm.... detail.

As one of my Hispanic gay male friends said when I walked into the newly decorated apartment of he and his partner and marveled at all the .... detail.... , "Hey, we're Hispanic and gay. To us, less is....well.....LESS!"

My absolute favorite, however, is this amazing video clip entitled "Bethlehemian Rhapsody". You absolutely MUST see it. Seriously. Consider it part of your Advent Meditation.

Here's how the clip is described:
This delightful parody written by Mark Bradford and directed by Darla Robinson (darlamason@hotmail.com) tells the Christmas story in a new....and UNIQUE....way that will touch the hearts of generations to come. Enjoy!
Don't waste another minute on reading this blog and spend the next four minutes and 46 seconds watching this. You can either see it below or click on this link.

If you think the "Mexican Nativity Set" was great, just wait till you see the gold manger descending from the clouds.

That sound you hear - when you stop your own giggles - is Jesus, Mary and Joseph and all the angels and archangels laughing and applauding uproariously from the heavens.

Don't forget to check out the "27 (and counting) Worst Nativity Sets". They are not to be missed.

Happy Advent everyone!

15 comments:

it's margaret said...

oh wowowowow ow owowowo wow!

Jeffri Harre said...

Fodder for Our Lady of the Pink Flamingos if I ever saw it!!! Thanks for the laugh, Elizabeth, it was much needed.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I know, right? It's a hoot. I'm enjoying it even more with my evening glass of bourbon.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I must say, Jeffri, that the Spam Nativity really grosses me out.

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Yeah, but I'm kinda fond of the meat and sauerkraut one with the Bacon Manger. ;-)

The reason you don't get the butter one is you are a NE Corridor girl. Were you from my part of the world, you would know one of the main attractions of many state fairs is the area is "the butter cow." Imagine a cow carved out of 600 lbs of butter on a frame. It started in Iowa but caught on with all the neighboring states pretty fast.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

A 600 pound butter cow? O.M.G A "main attraction"? And, it's "catching on"? Say it ain't so!

it's margaret said...

A butter cow doesn't sound kosher...

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Nothing new about the Butter Cow. The Iowa State Fair has had one for 100 years now--they recently celebrated their Butter Cow Centennial! After all, in 1911, refrigeration was a modern marvel--and what better way to combine the agrarian interests of a state fair with the amazing powers of refrigeration? There are only a few butter cow sculptors in the world, and they often end up making a butter cow for more than one fair...

Karen said...

O.M.G. This is wonderful. Love it. May have issues with the giggles when I walkin to church and see all the decorations. . .

Mark Harris said...

Dear Elizabeth...please, please, don't make me watch that video again! Laughter? Yes! but also it made me go like Mr. Bill, "Noooo, oh nooo." It made my head hurt. Still, I particularly liked Elizabeth and Mary whispering and then looking up to the sky. Did they know the golden crib was on its way?

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Karen, I saw a nativity set being set up in someone's front yard and I absolutely lost it. Giggled all the way home.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Mark - Umm. . . I think that was Mary and Joseph. Hard to tell with puppets, I know, but I'm pretty sure that was Mary and Joseph.

You don't have to watch it. Ever. Again. I think I've watched it enough for us all.

Kittredge Cherry said...

This is great fun! “Bethlehem Rhapsody” lifted our spirits here in wind-torn LA! We followed the YouTube link and also enjoyed “Hotel Can’t-Afford-Ya” with the same characters.

Those who like unusual manger scenes may want to create one for the LGBT Nativity Scene contest at the Jesus in Love Blog . Everyone can be a winner and get yours posted on the blog this month. Ethnic, multiracial and non-white versions are especially encouraged. We’ve already received wonderful photos from two new participants. Let’s reimagine the Holy Family in liberating new ways. Because, after all, love makes a family.

MarkBrunson said...

I liked the zombie nativity.

And, whyismarko should be told that anybody who likes Veggie Tales really shouldn't be down on anyone else's tastes!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

It's the Spam Nativity that grosses me out.