Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, May 07, 2010

You CAN go home again.

I'm on the Acela headed north to "Umm, umm, Bawston, you're my home."

I'm going to be there to visit with some members of my family and to be present with my adopted Mamas, Sheri and Lois, for the world premiere of the documentary, "Gen Silent" Saturday night at Northeastern University.

Sheri and Lois, who are featured in the film, are two women who saved my well-padded Portuguese behind more than 30 years ago. They helped us find a lawyer to defend us in the first ever lesbian custody case in Bristol County, MA, gave us a place to stay whenever we came down to Boston from our home in Bar Harbor, Maine, fed us lobstah and a regular diet of Really Bad jokes that made us laugh and laugh until we forgot just how much trouble we were really in.

I am so proud of them and so proud to say I know them and to share this moment with them. I just hope that this documentary is seen far and wide and the message of taking care of our LGBT elders is heard.

I know I'm going to be doing some networking at the dinner Saturday night.

Oh, and as it just so happens, the Pinstripe Boyz on Steroids are playing the Dirty Water Boyz at The Fenway tonight.

It's still early in the season and my BoSox haven't yet gotten their MoJo on, but it's gonna be a great game. Well, that is if Jeeter can get himself out of the damn box to actually play the game. Ortiz has been lookin' hot, though, and my boyz definitely got the juice, so it's just a matter of gettin' Red enough to psych out the Blues.

I'm a little more than three-quarters of the way there and I'm already feeling like home. You know? My heart is feeling lighter and my spirit feels ready to soar.

I think it was Robert Frost who wrote, "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."

I'm almost home.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here, along with reflections on all the various goings on.

So, behave yourselves while I'm gone. And, if you can't, admit to nothing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

IT said...

So here's to good ol' Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod
Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots
and the Cabots talk only to God!