Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, December 20, 2010

The 'Island of Misfit Toys' Christmas Party

I'm on the road today - leaving in a few minutes to head up to the NE Corridor to visit with a few friends and have a Christmas Party with my former staff.

It's one of my favorite times of the year. We all get together, have a wonderful lunch and exchange gifts and laugh and laugh and laugh.

This year, however, we're calling it the "Island of Misfit Toys Christmas Party".

One person used to call my staff and our office area in the undercroft of the church "The Island of Misfit Toys".

If you don't know the movie, it's part of the canonical addition to the children's Christmas special, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer."

As you might surmise, it was not meant as a compliment.

So, one of our number just turned it around and, as is our wont, made it into a celebration.

It's so. . . . oh, I don't know . . . "us". Exactly the reason this poor unhappy person decided to call us that in the first place. Have you ever noticed that unhappy people are absolutely desperate to make others unhappy?

Not gonna happen. Not no way. Not no how. Cuz, it's true. In certain segments of society, I guess we are considered misfits. And, the thing about being a misfit is that, once you know and accept the fact that you're a misfit in that place or to that person, nothing else really matters.

I mean, what more can be done to you - especially if you band together in community?

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."  The Church of 'Me and Bobby McGee'.


Isn't that what church is, at it's best? A community of misfits and losers? Well, that's my perspective on the best of church. A community of people who know that what the world offers is not the best. 

I think that's what disturbs this person the most. That we're a community. We did some good work together. That's mainly because we were more committed to the mission of the church as we understood it than to any thing else.

We helped each other. Always. We understood that if one of us didn't look good, we all didn't look good, which would not help the mission of the church. So, when someone presented with a project that needed to be done, the first question at Staff Meetings was always, "What can we do to help?"

I've worked with lots of staff over the years. Sometimes, as part of the staff. Sometimes, as the leader. This was the BEST staff. Evah. It's even better now that we can be just friends because I'm not "The Boss." Frees us up to take our relationship to the next level.

If this is the definition of "Misfit", I claim it boldly in the name of the King of King and Lord of the Misfits.

So, off I go, then. I've got my Christmas Exchange Gift all wrapped. Card written. Tummy ready for some wonderful food. Mind set on friendship and laughter and catch up and story telling and gentle teasing and maybe even making a video for one of our number who is out of the country and can't join us.

Oh, yes. And, laughter. Lots of it.

I'll leave you with this little clip from yesterday's Advent Lessons and Hymns which was a wonderful way to prepare for the spirituality of Christmas.

They are singing Mendelssohn's "There Shall a Star Come Out of Jacob". This is just a little community choir - no paid section leaders or "ringers". Well, two choirs - All Saints'Church, Rehoboth Beach and St. George's Chapel, Harbeson.

They were simply stellar - especially for a band of Misfit Singers, making music for Jesus.

So, enjoy.

Off I go, then. Pray for me and I'll pray for you.

2 comments:

KJ said...

And some of us even have red noses! You could even say they glow.

Malinda said...

Prayers for you, as good as this will be I know from experience it will also have difficult moments, sadness perhaps, maybe regrets. But it is another way of saying goodbye and keeping faith, while moving on with grace and peace. Maybe, I hope.