Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Calling A Brother Into Account

Sisters and Brothers,

I don't normally do this.

I am quite used to being vilified by the folks in pews on the Far Right of the Church. There are several Conservative Weblogs who say such hateful things about me and the people I love that normally, I don't even bother to read them.

Not to worry, I won't even send you there (but you know who you are).

Trash. The lot of it. Not worth a moment's consideration by anyone.

Besides, most of it is the same handful of people who are so hurt and angry they can only spew their venom back and forth at each other.

I understand the feeling. I was once in that same emotional space, but from the other end of the spectrum. And then, I rediscovered Jesus and it changed my life.

But that's another story for another day.

What's fascinating is that these folk claim to have found Jesus AND THEN they got ugly and mean-spirited and bigoted.

There are just some mysteries to a personal profession of faith I'll just never quite understand.

You know, even the Weblog of Kendall Harmon, the Theologian of the neo-Puritan, orthodox evangelical movement, has "Web Elves" who censure those who cross the boundaries of good taste and decency.

And, censure they do. With blessed regularity. (Thank you, elves. You know who you are and I know you monitor this blog.)

No one has to concern themselves, however, with censuring Kendall. Like him or not, agree with him or not, Kendall is a scholar and a gentleman, and his behavior is reflective of that.

Not so with all the brethren.

Take a look at APOSTOLICITY (http://apostolicity.blogspot.com)

This is, at the very least, conduct most unbecoming a Christian, much less one who is ordained in a position of leadership.

You'll instantly recognize the face of our Presiding Bishop in what has been described to me by the Weblog Author as "visual satire."

One of his fans says she thinks this is not only "hilarious," it is yet one more piece of evidence that "reasserters" (that's "orthodox-talk" for liberal/progressives) have no sense of humor.

(Gee, I seem to remember that claim in the early days of the feminist movement. You know,I think what really angers me most is that these folks have absolutely no originality or creativity. They really think they have ORIGINAL THOUGHTS.)

Scroll down to the very end of this WEBLOG to see his interpretation of the Investiture Service (it continues the 'witch/amazon' theme), but don't miss the comments on the picture of +KJS with the Native American Headdress asking for submissions for captions.

The proposed caption about rape is particularly scurrilous - misogynist as well as racist.

I'm absolutely aghast. No matter where you are on the theological spectrum,I trust you will be as well.

You will note that I have tried to communicate my distress to The Weblog owner. He has responded that he is of the opinion that I need to "lighten up."

I understand his anger and the outrage. I do. I'm not a fan of censure. However, there have to be healthier, more appropriate ways to publicly express one's emotions - especially for one who is entrusted as an ordained leader in the church.

I mean, this is not Jay Leno and the Tonight Show! It's not a frat party! This is an Episcopal priest and this is the Episcopal Church.

All I can do is repeat the response US Army attorney, Joseph Welch made to Senator Joseph McCarthy, from another time of insanity in this country:

"Until this moment, Senator, I think I never gauged your cruelty or recklessness. . . You've done enough . . . .Have you no decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

Indeed, I think his bishop, if he isn't already, ought to be made aware of the contents of this Weblog. It's an embarassment to the church - not to mention placing the authors of the comments and this Weblog in jeopardy of cannoical charges of "conduct unbecoming."

I hope you leave your opinion of this blog with him in the comments section.

Perhaps the most loving thing anyone can do is to call this brother into account.

2 comments:

Fr. Christopher Cantrell SSC said...

Elizabeth,

I took it down. I take your point. It was meant in jest.

The comment from Ed Adcock (which is his real name) is indeed extreme - He is a local Via Media member, a layman. Obviously, I have not been moderating all the comments on my blog.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

"I take your point"??????

"It was meant in jest"??????

Fortunately, I did make copies of everything.

My grandmother always used to say, "Live your life as if everyone will know everything you will ever do, because eventually, everyone will."