Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Josh Crowley for Bishop!

Today was the second Stewardship Sunday at St. Paul's. We only do two. We're Anglicans, after all. 'Meet, right and proper,' you know.

Nothing in excess - everything in moderation.

Especially when the topic is money.

This week, the Stewardship Packets were delivered. Next week, we have the "Ingathering of the Pledges" and a Stewardship Brunch.

Today, Josh Crowley gave one of the Stewardship Talks. Josh is fifteen years old. Yes, that's right. Fifteen. And, yes, he gave one of the Stewardship Talks.

He didn't have a manuscript, so I can't reproduce it here, verbatim. He simply leaned his long, lanky body into the podium and talked to us about what The Episcopal Church of St. Paul means to him.

I got all "girly-weepy" 'round about two minutes into it, so I can't tell you all of what he said. This much I remember:

He said, "This is a place where you can be who you are and think what you think and everyone still accepts you."

As he said this, his arms gestured out from his chest, as if he were taking off his shirt. He looked over at me and said, "And, Rev'd Elizabeth, well, she's like my 'other mother'. I can talk to her - and Tim (Wong, our Missioner for Youth and Young Families) - about anything."

Then, he said, "This is a place where you can actually think about your faith. It's a place where you can be safe in a world filled with pressure to perform in academics, sports, music, etc."

He ended by saying, "I serve as Acolyte and Crucifer - sometimes when I'm not even scheduled because some other kid can't make it. But, I do it to give back to this church that has given so much to me. I hope you'll give back something to the church, because, well, it's important."

And then, he sat down.

I don't believe I've heard a better Stewardship Talk.

Have you?

No comments: