Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, March 19, 2007

A Modern Parable as Bedtime Meditation




A wee meditation before bed

By Harold Kushner in When All You've Ever Wanted Isn't Enough


"I was sitting on a beach one summer day, watching two children, a boy and a girl, playing in the sand. They were hard at work building an elaborate sand castle by the water's edge, with gates and towers and moats and internal passages.

Just when they had nearly finished their project, a big wave came along and knocked it down, reducing it to a heap of wet sand.

I expected the children to burst into tears, devastated by what had happened to all their hard work.

But they surprised me.

Instead, they ran up the shore away from the water, laughing and holding hands, and sat down to build another castle. I realized that they had taught me an important lesson.

All the things in our lives, all the complicated structures we spend so much time and energy creating, are built on sand.

Only our relationships to other people endure.

Sooner or later, the wave will come along and knock down what we have worked so hard to build up.

When that happens, only the person who has somebody's hand to hold will be able to laugh."

1 comment:

Bill said...

I can relate to this. I was hit by that wave a few years ago and I can attest to the value of friends and even professional help in making it back and starting over.