Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, March 15, 2008

"Being Irish . . ..


. . . he had an abiding sense of tragedy, 
which sustained him through
temporary periods of joy"


William Butler Yeats.

For a sense of what Yeats means, visit here. It is, all at once, lovely and tragic and funny.

Happy St. Paddy's day!

I know. Not yet. It's March 17. But, you wouldn't know it from all the hoopla and parades here in Morris County. Ms. Conroy and I had Corned Beef and Cabbage for lunch today at the Nautilus Diner in Madison. It was, as always, FABULOUS - just as I remembered it this time last year. Since tomorrow is The Sunday of the Passion, and I don't eat meat during Holy Week, and since I also keep a solemn observance of Holy Monday (the actual date of the Feast of St. Patrick), well, as for me and my house, we will celebrate today.

Just a little something more to prove Yeats' point.

3 comments:

DBW said...

The Pope changed St. Patrick's Day this year to today, Saturday March 5, because there can't be a feast day in Holy Week. Or some such.

Kate Morningstar said...

Isn't Palm Sunday a Sunday and therefore a feast day, regardless of Holy Week?

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Hey, Kate - Well, for me, Palm Sunday ends on a very disquieted note. No blessing. No dismissal. Silent recession. No coffee hour. Holy Week begins. The story of the crucifixion weighs heavily on my heart even as I write this.

I love a good celebration, and I really don't care two figs what the Pope says, but I'm not celebrating today or tomorrow because it's Holy Week.

Just me. Do whatever it is you need to do for the health of your own soul. I'm sure both St. Patrick and Jesus understand both sides completely.

I suspect they may have started drinking Green Beer in Heaven days ago and it won't stop until St. Paddy's day is over.

Everybody's Irish on St. Paddy's day. Even Jesus has the last name of O'Nazareth on that day.