Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, June 14, 2008

I've been 'Fishawacked'


Today was the Annual Chatham Fishawack Festival - a sort of old fashioned town "Founders Day" event, except it happens every other year. No parade. Just merchants and organizations wanting you to know what they do so they can get you to contribute money - oh, and food. Lots and lots of food.

This is Olivia and Ella. I've named them "The Fishawack Princesses." Because, well, as you can clearly see, they are. Well, princesses, in any event.

We gave out 5 cases of iced water with this cool little thingy that has our logo on it, and a very clever doohickey that clips on your belt.

Very ingenius, don't you think? Everyone was wearing them and grateful for it. In fact two people actually contributed scholarships for any kid who wanted to attend our Vacation Bible School but didn't have the finances. That was absolutely spontaneous. I was as amazed as I was delighted.

Of course, no one signed up for our VBS, but that's okay. Lots of people saw the banner and some asked questions.

We also handed out 144 Popsicles. Sugar free. Cherry. Orange. Or, grape. The kids LOVED them. And, their parents didn't seem to mind that they dripped all over their clothes. I can't think of anything that stains any worse than Popsicle drippings. Even grass stains are easier to get out.

Never mind. It was sugar free. Which meant they could hold off the sugar high until they made their way back and got the freshly swirled cotton candy.

I had the opportunity to chat with some parishioners I don't always get a chance to talk to and got caught up on the stories. I also got treated to Argyle's Fish 'n Chips for lunch. It's only the best damn Fish 'n Chips in the country. The restaurant is in Kearny, NJ and it's run by some wonderful Irish folk. None better. Swear.

We were out there from 10 AM - 2 PM. It was 90 degrees with heavy humidity. I'm so happy to be living in a rectory with central air conditionig.

Very, very happy.

2 comments:

emmy said...

Oh! My girls are princesses! Wish I could have been there!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

BEAUTIFUL princess, I might add, without cause.

We wish you could have been there, too. Except, you might have gotten crabby with the 90 degree weather and the 100% humidity.