Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, December 18, 2009

Baking and Praying the O Antiphons


This is the second day of the O Antiphons and Ms. Conroy can barely contain her excitement. She's not easily amused (except by our grandchildren) but these sorts of simple things deeply please her.

So, what the heck, right? I mean, it's not that I don't appreciate the spiritual discipline or the anticipation of the birth of the Infant Messiah. Indeed, there's something intuitively feminine about this spiritual practice that appeals to me.

I just don't get as excited about it as Ms. Conroy. Perhaps that's because there's something intuitively childlike about this spiritual practice of anticipation that appeals to her.

I scouted around and found some scriptural reference for today's O Antiphon - for those of you whose spirituality comes from the left side of your brain.

Isaias 11:4-5
But he shall judge the poor with justice, and shall reprove with equity the meek of the earth: and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the wicked. And justice shall be the girdle of his loins: and faith the girdle of his reins.

Isaias 33:22
For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king: he will save us.

Me? Baking and cooking are forms of prayer. It appeals to both the left and right sides of my brain. And, as an additional bonus, I get something tangible to give to others. I don't often get to see tangible results in my line of work. That can drive some of the corporate types of the faithful right 'round the bend.

I made this pan of what my kids used to call "Breakfast of Champions Bars". That's a bit of a joke about how addictive they are.

They were but a distant if not pleasant memory until Clumber (that naughty dog) posted the recipe on his FaceBook page. All it took was one look and I was addicted all over again.

It's made in a Graham Cracker crust with a package each of two kinds of chocolate chips - semi-sweet and milk - and some Peanut Butter or Butterscotch chips, chopped pecans, shredded coconut (I made it half and half for those who don't like coconut), and is covered with sweetened condensed milk and then baked for 30 minutes.

You could gain five pounds and get a cavity just looking at the stuff.

I also made some Chocolate Honey Mustard Pretzels - they have a chocolate kiss and three M&Ms pressed into them. Also like crack cocaine.

Later today, I'll make a pan of Sweet Potato Casserole for our daughter's Christmas Dinner and drop it off at her house tomorrow, along with some of the Chocolate Pretzels and Bars.

I'll also run out and get some pretty cellophane wrap and colorful ribbon, and package some of the sweet stuff as Christmas gifts for a few friends.

While I do all of that, I'll be singing today's O Antiphon and meditating on Sr. Joan Chittister's prayer for today.

If I were going to bake something for the Christ child, Adonai, I'm betting he would love these two amazing sweets.

Here's Sr. Joan's prayer. December 18
When we build a vision of life it is
necessary to realize that Jesus
must be the center of it—not our
institutions, good as they may be;
not our plans or personal talents,
necessary as they are.
— Joan D. Chittister, OSB
You can sing chant this prayer along with the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, PA here.
Prayer
O Adonai, leader of the ancient
Israel, giving Moses, while in the
burning bush, the law on Sinai.
Come with outstretched arms and
teach us.
When Ms. Conroy reads this, she'll be so excited.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I gotta tell ya, I like the looks of those chocolate pretzel deals. I like the looks of that a lot.

Merry Christmas to all!

Lindy