Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The newest addition to my desk

Anyone who has been in my office will tell you that while it is quite comfortable and inviting, it does have touches, here and there, of what some have called "unconventional."

(How thoroughly unexpected, eh? I mean, for MY office.)

I have this little collection at the end of my desk which I treasure. Some of you who were at General Convention in Columbus saw some of my favorites: There is, of course, the neon pink "Ask Me Jesus" which has a 'liquid 8-Ball' toy within. The idea is that your must carefully consider your question and then, once you've asked it, turn Jesus upside-down to read His answer. My favorite is: "I'll ask my Dad."

If you didn't see it at the Newark Deputation in Columbus, you may remember it from the Massachusetts Deputation. I lent it to them as a favor to my dear friend and class mate, Jane Gould. Apparently, they needed it more than the Newark deputies who seek the mind of Jesus so often, we don't have to ask as much any more. Not that we don't ask at all, of course. It's just that others obviously need him more. We try to understand and strive to be generous and share Jesus with all who may need him.

Yes, that's Pinocchio. I often use him to help explain baptism to kids. All he ever wanted to be was a 'real little boy' - and, in the process, ended up making an ass of himself. But, in the end, it was love that saved him, wasn't it?

I also have a picture hanging nearby which I bought five years ago in Hawai'i which depicts the moment the Blue Fairy touches Pinocchio with her wand and says, "Little puppet made of pine, arise, the gift of life is thine." It just doesn't get much better than that, does it?

There are, of course, my Jesus action figures. You can see three of them in the picture. The one on the lower left is "Healing Hands Jesus" - they glow in the dark. He also came with five loaves and two fishes as well as a carafe of water - all just waiting for a miracle.

Yes, that's Dubya there, on the left hand of "Ask Me Jesus" He moves and talks in his very own voice and randomly says some of his direct quotes when you push the red button near his feet. He says things like, "You can't claim the high horse and then take the low road." Or, "I know that the human being and the fish can coexist peacefully." Or, one of my personal favorites: "Rarely is the question asked, 'Is our children learning?'"

You see why I put him close to "Ask Me Jesus."

Today, a package arrived in the mail - an early Christmas presents of sorts, from a dear friend, Rob DeWolfe, who was my rector when I was in the ordination process and now lives in Hawai'i. Rob sent it with a note that said, "No self-respecting clergy person should be without this."

Indeed!

See it? There it is, in the center of the picture.

Yes, I know. Can you believe it?

I am now the proud owner of a Danbury Mint special edition "The Life of Christ" cross, tastefully done in faux gold on one side and, on the other, a series of tiny little boxes which contain tiny little scenes of His Blessed Life: The Nativity, The Baptism, The Temptation, The Transfiguration, The Last Supper, The Crucifixion, The Resurrection and The Ascension.

You probably can't see the detail, but, for example, the image of him at the Empty Tomb has him marching out in front of Mary Magdalene in his underwear, carrying a white flag with a red cross.

I don't remember that part from scripture. I guess I'll just have to break down and buy a King James version so I can know the Truth.

Well, there it is, then. Next time you're in Chatham, NJ, do make certain to stop by for a cup of tea and I'll show you my collection.

It reminds me that, in the face of so much evil in the world, laughter is the most authentic expression of a belief in God. Indeed, how could you laugh in the face of evil, if you didn't believe in God?

PS: I've just learned about "Buddy Christ" action figure from the film DOGMA. Note to family and friends: This is now on my Christmas Wish List

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, of course, that this is the first of a Danbury collection of similar crosses reflecting the life of Jesus. There are now three of us in possession of Number 1. Are there any others who would admit it? And who will be brave enough to order Number 2 in the series???

Ben and Brandy said...

Splended collection.
Have you a "Buddy Christ," a la the Kevin Smith film "Dogma"?

I don't know whether Bono was quoting or coining the phrase when he said, "Mock the Devil and he will flee from you," but I think he was on to something.

Just came upon you while home blog-browsing today. I look forward to peeking on your perspective now and again.
Greetings from St. Paul's Episcopal here in Winston Salem, NC, of which my wife and I are members.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

That's quite a challenge, Cranmer49. There's rarefied air for those who con-spire at the foot of a Danbury collection cross.

Welcome, B.utter. "Buddy Christ" is now on my Christmas Wish List.

(BIG hint to my family and friends.)

You know, I thought of another reason why I laugh. Because, as one friend has said, I don't want to come back as David Anderson (president of the AAC) in my next life (if there IS a next life . . .).

Lisa Fox said...

My dear, we must have a close-up of the Danbury cross!!