Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't blame me, blame Jon

Okay. It's official. I'm in love. Even Ms. Conroy knows. Really.

You can blame it on one of my former seminarians. It was he who introduced me to "MIKA" - a British pop singer who is positively brilliant.

Jon gave me one of Mika's CD's and I've been playing it ever since (I still want to call it an album, but I stop myself because I don't want to sound like a fossil). I even make excuses to go out to the car so I can drive around and listen to another track. If I brought it into my office, I'd never get any work done.

"Love Today" is insanely addictive. It's just one of those songs you can't get out of your head once you've heard it.

I also love "Big Girls (You are Beautiful)" - his ode to "fuller figger women." And, "Any Other World" is very powerful.

It's "Billy Brown", however, that's most endearing. I'll post the lyrics below.

If we're really good, boys and girls, perhaps The Mad One will do that thing he does with his computer wizardry and play us "Love Today" as a theme song for TEC House of Bishops as they gather in New Orleans. It just may remind them of their mission. A marching song, of sorts, to which they may also dance, if they prefer.

Dancing may, in fact, be better for all concerned. Less militaristic. More creative. Which is clearly what we need in the midst of a schism.

And, let's face it: schism is what is happening, boys and girls, whether we want to admit it or not. Some folk get very angry with me for saying that. Some just say "pshaw" and "pooh" and otherwise dismiss me with a swish of the hand (that tends to happen alot in the LGBT community).

Well, right. Schism hasn't been officially announced. That probably won't happen until after the September 30th Deadline has come and gone. It might happen after General Convention 2007.

Make no mistake, however. The "hour of schism has come and now is." My hunch is that there will be a dramatic exodus when the House of Bishops gathers in New Orleans next week. Right after the Archbishop of Canterbury makes his speech.

You know what? There are those on the Right who have worked very, very hard for this to happen. And, it has. Happened. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Perhaps this schism is not as big and not as disasterous as they had asked for or imagined but you may rest assured that there are those who will work especially hard so that, when it is officially announced, there will be more drama involved than anyone can endure.

General Convention 2003 was "Ash Wednesday" - remember Kendall Harmon and the T19 crew, all walking around with a GREAT BIG CROSS of ASHES on their foreheads?

Amazing! Truly.

General Convention 2006 was "Good Friday" - remember all the old white men in purple shirts, all lined up at the microphone in the House of Bishops, declaring the beginning of the end? I mean, really! An honest queer in their midst and a woman in charge simply put those poor boys over the edge.

C'mon! Have a heart!

I can hardly wait for General Convention 2009, can you? I don't know exactly what it will be, but my money is on the fact that the image of an empty tomb will be in there somewhere. (They are nothing if not painfully, reliably predictable.)

Well, I'll tell ya what: if a schism needs a soundtrack, I believe MIKA has provided us with one. He's postively brilliant. But, I said that already, didn't I?

See what I mean about being in love with the bloke?

Okay, as promised here are the lyrics to "Billy Brown." But, you'll want to go out and buy the CD and give 'er a listen for yerself. Just be warned that this music is highly addictive.

And, don't blame me. Blame Jon.

Oh Billy Brown had lived an ordinary life.
Two kids, a dog, and a cautionary wife.
While it was all going according to plan
Then Billy Brown fell in love with another man.
He met his lover almost every single day
Making excuses through his (dodly) holiday
(Unto religion that he said and duty found
They didn’t know his faith was (earthlic) bound)

Brown…Oh Billy Brown.
Don’t let the stars get you down.
Don’t let the waves let you drown.
Brown…Oh Billy Brown.
Gonna pick you up like a paper cup.
Gonna shake the water out of every nook.
Oh Billy Brown.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I swear to God it's true.

Kendall's cross was the biggest - a HUMUNGA cross right in the middle of his forehead.

He was dead serious abut it, too. This was not just a cheap act. It came from a place of truth and integrity for him.

It was startling and disconcerting and very, very dramatic - the exact effect he was going for, I imagine, or the one who placed it on his forehead.

And, it totally worked because it was authentic for him.

Brother David said...

lizabeth,

go fix the two date typos in your post. Your next GC is in 2009 isn't it, not 2007.

MarkBrunson said...

I've seen Mika on Conan O'Brien and I thought he was marvelous, and extremely dramatic. He reminded me a great deal of the glam-rockers at their height before becoming played-out.