Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Nessun dorma, Luciano Pavarotti

The first time I heard "Nessun Dorma" I wept.

The first time I heard Pavarotti sing "Nessun Dorma" I sobbed.

But, it was watching our then 9 year old daughter, Mia, listen to Pavorotti sing "Nessun Dorma" I wept and sobbed.

Okay, so you expected that from me.

Dramatic?

Who, me?

Okay. Okay.

I love the Opera. I especially love going to The Met in NYC. I love everything about it. The way everone dresses up for it. The sets. The lighting. The music. The divas. The drama.

I especially love Italian operas.

My Ms. Conroy embraces what H. L. Menchen says: "Opera in English is, in the main, just about as sensible as baseball in Italian."

I deeply grieve the loss of what is, indisputably, one of the greatest voices to come out of Italy - or any where, for that matter.

We are impoverished for his loss, but the choirs of angels and archangels is greatly enhanced by his contribution.

So, here he is, singing Nessum Dorma on
YouTube

And here is what he is singing in the libretto from the opera Turandot:

The Prince sings:

Nessun dorma, nessun dorma ...
Tu pure, o Principessa,
Nella tua fredda stanza,
Guardi le stelle
Che tremano d'amore
E di speranza.

No one sleeps, no one sleeps...
Even you, o Princess,
In your cold room,
Watch the stars,
That tremble with love
And with hope.

Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
Il nome mio nessun saprà, no, no,
Sulla tua bocca lo dirò
Quando la luce splenderà,
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
Che ti fa mia.

But my secret is hidden within me;
My name no one shall know, no, no,
On your mouth I will speak it*
When the light shines,
And my kiss will dissolve the silence
That makes you mine.

The Chorus sings:

Il nome suo nessun saprà
E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir.

No one will know his name
And we must, alas, die.


The Prince sings

Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!

Vanish,o night!
Set**, stars!
At daybreak, I shall conquer!


Indeed, you shall, dear Prince Pavarotti.

Nessun dorma, sweet Prince.


That YouTube Link can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4

2 comments:

Bill said...

I've got a few of his recordings if you should want to borrow. I used to have a subscription to the city opera when I lived in Brooklyn. If you ever want to go let me know. One of my favorites is the Ave Maria, where he sings half in Latin and half in Italian. He single handedly popularized opera. No one can ever dispute that.

Lindy said...

YES! The Met is the best opera... THE Best! With apologies to our friends in the New York City Opera. You can't beat the Met.

Do you know I have seen people in Texas actually wear dungarees to the opera! It's true. Not me, though. Even in this backwater I am duded out to the nines! Not like I would for The Met. But, for around here.

I'll tell you what I love best about the Met, and that is the very ending. I love ... yea, I NEED... the yelling, the unfettered and pure adulation that the audience gives the performers. I need the love. I need to yell myself half horse with Bravos! and Bravas! I don't understand how people can just politely clap their hands and walk out. "Oh what a lovely performance..." they say. It's like ... Well, you know what it's like. And it is most unsatisfying. A night at the met, though, complete with rapturous release, leaves me wonderfully exhausted and delighted. It's like Easter Sunday and great sex all rolled into one.

Nowhere do I loose myself more than in opera. How I envy you your access to The Met.

This is a great tribute to the great tenor.

Lindy