Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Jaime Tree


The 'Greening of The Church' inspired us to come home and have the 'Greening of The Rectory'. (Don't you love how Anglicans can take an ordinary event and make it seem like The Event of the Year?")

Well, truth be told, the Staff and Volunteer Christmas Party is tomorrow, so the pressure is ON for the (%&^*@#) Christmas Tree to go up as well as the rest of the decorations.

This, while I'm trying to prepare lunch for 14.

I love to cook - especially for such an appreciative crowd.

The 'Martha Stewart' stuff I could do without.

Big Time.

Except for this. The Jaime Tree. This is the tree we planted this spring in memory of our daughter who died four years ago.

We decided to decorate her all in red, Jaime's favorite color. I think she looks grand. Simply grand.

Looking at her makes my heart twinkle and shine.

And, we "hung" Santa on our front door this year.

We used to put him in the rocking chair so the grandkids could sit on his lap. Not this year. Santa's on his own. The rocking chair is mine.

Ah, well. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

Back to preparing the shrimp. The chicken is all set to rock 'n roll and the vegetarian stuffing is cooked and in the fridge, ready to be warmed up in the morning. The guacamole is done and ready to be put out with the chips.

I'll start cooking furiously around 10 AM. Lunch is at noon.

Until then, it's Martha Stewart time. The fireplace mantle is done with everyone's baby picture stocking holder and appropriate Christmas stocking hung on it, but the Christmas Tree is yet to be decorated.

Ms. Conroy has pleaded for one hour of rest before we begin again. This is me, being magnanimous. Sounds like ignoramus. I fear she and I will collapse in a dead heap before the night is through.

What was it I preached this morning? Oh, yeah. "I am not the Messiah."

Pray for me and I'll pray for you.

9 comments:

David@Montreal said...

I'm praying you'll have enough uumpf left over to enjoy all this

Elizabeth, you know darned well you enjoy every bit of it- so we're praying for my uuumpf factor here.

love and prayers

David@Montreal

Fran said...

Oh Elizabeth! I remember you writing about the tree another time.

So lovely.

Get your rest and know you are prayed for; I thank you for the same!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Yeah, well, David, I confess that I love every minute of cooking, and I love entertaining, but this is me singing, "It (would be) so nice to have a (gay) man around the house."

Just to do the decorating.

Just this once.

Maybe someday. When my ship comes in. (Isn't that what they used to say in all the 'film noir'?)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, Fran. You are the best.

Muthah+ said...

"The 'Martha Stewart' stuff I could do without."

I am with you, kid! But prayers ascend.

the comment moderation word is "Madmz" Yep, that right!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! Blessings on your gathering. Enjoy! You can sleep it off later.

Doorman-Priest said...

"Don't you love how Anglicans can take an ordinary event and make it seem like The Event of the Year?"

You've not met my 14 yr old daughter. With all the self assurance and self absorbtion of a teenage girl, every event is the event of the year providing she is involved.

MadPriest said...

Is that mansion your house?

Actually, I think God has already answered that question for you as the word verification for this comment (and this is the truth) is "venaties." Which is close enough for me.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Yes, Maddy. This is the humble rectory of the Rector of The Chathams. It's quite modest, in fact, given the McMansions that have come to populate the Borough and the Township. It does us quite nicely, thank you very much.