Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, March 30, 2009

A fox in the hen house

"Multimillionaire Howard Ahmanson, one of the nation’s top evangelical Christian philanthropists and one of three funders of Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in California, recently joined the Democratic Party.

Although Ahmanson’s support for Prop 8 earned him critics on the left, his many philanthropic interests funded through his Fieldstead Institute are most often nonpartisan and nonpolitical, from AIDS prevention to public transportation.

In an exclusive interview with columnist Kathleen Parker, he explains why he switched political affiliations and what he thinks of President Obama, and he speaks frankly about gays."

Read it all here at "The Daily Beast".

YIKES! Well, that woke me up this Monday morning!

Here's what he said about LGBT people:

During a 1985 interview with the Orange County Register, you said your political agenda was “total integration of biblical law into our lives.” Is that still the case?

That’s a bit compromised. We have considerable biblical law in the law now. We’ve already succeeded in outlawing murder and robbery and perjury. I don’t think there’s anything wrong or unconstitutional about that.

Well, I think your critics would be talking about things such as biblical treatment of gays.

I certainly don’t mean that now. Maybe in my wild youth.

What changed?

I guess just living and aging or something.

Have you mellowed with age?


I suppose so.

Do you have any gay friends?

I don’t think so, but I would stand with them on my opinions. And I would be willing to tell them what I think they should do.

Which is?

First come to Christ and then recover.

So you think homosexuality is something from which one can recover?


Yes, I think we can recover from a lot of other things, too. But I think we’re all equal as individuals.

Ahmanson also has some interesting things to say about Evangelicals.

Well, there's an old Arabic saying, "Trust in God and tie your camel tight."

I think we would do well to watch this one like a hawk.

12 comments:

PseudoPiskie said...

He needs some gay friends. Or perhaps he needs to realize that he already has gay friends. Like most people with his prejudices. I agree. Keep an eye on this guy.

Kay & Sarah said...

I agree. We need to watch him. He will try to take over the Democratic Party.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Well, I'd like to think that the Democratic Party isn't for sale, but then again, these are tough times. And the first ones to go when times get tough are the LGBT folk, followed rapidly by women and children.

JimB said...

All politicians are for sale -- it is their nature. Speaker O'Neal said it well years ago, "Money is the mother's milk of politics."

FWIW
jimB

Doorman-Priest said...

There is an old adage about rather having someone on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in. Seems apt here.

JCF said...

I've just forwarded this scary mug to MadPriest, for "Don't let him look at me, mummy!" consideration... |-p

Caminante said...

Hope the Dems handle him very, very carefully and don't take his tainted money.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Inconsistent? Dotty?

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Keep his fingers out of the cookie jar, above all ;=)

If he's a milionaire that means he has had some substantial losses over the past year...

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Absolutely!

MarkBrunson said...

Well, I'd like to think that the Democratic Party isn't for sale. . .

Many people say that politicians are just prostitutes, but this is unfair for a few of reasons:

1) The prostitute tells you up front you're going to get screwed and how much it will cost;

2) If the prostitute is a poor performer or doesn't deliver services, you are not legally required to remain married to the prostitute forsaking all other prostitutes for the next 4-8 years.

3) A committee of inept prostitutes doesn't tell you which two prostitutes you have to choose from.

4) Prostitutes often feel ashamed for having screwed the American public.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Brilliant, Mark. You gave me the first laugh on the first day of April and it wasn't a prank.