Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Buzz on The Bees


Seeing this movie yesterday in NYC was one of the best things I could have done - for my head, my heart and my soul.

The deep, complex relationship between the Sisters Boatwright, combined with the secret life of Lily, plays out the metaphor of the lives of bees - and then, draws us further into the hive and has us seriously consider issues of race, gender, domestic violence and even the role of religion.

The book, I think, is even better but the movie stays true to the story. I just didn't like the addition of the music soundtrack. Oh, a piece of music now and again to underscore a point would have been fine, but on more than one occasion, I found it intrusive and annoying.

So, do yourself a favor and read the book and go see the movie.

2 comments:

SUSAN RUSSELL said...

Loved the book ... can't wait to see the movie!

Lapinbizarre said...

Off topic, but enjoyable post this afternoon at another site. Thanks. Roger