Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I wanna be just like Julia Sugarbaker when I grow up


No one howled louder than I did when 'Designing Women' went off the air. I loves me some strong, feisty women, and they seem to grow them even hotter and feistier in the South.

I found some reruns of the program this morning while lounging in bed, sipping my second cup of coffee . . .and, channel surfing, just because I could.

I had forgotten just how much I loved that program. This was, no doubt, the prototype of 'Sex and The City' - from Georgia to NYC - with all the glamor and all style and TONS of sexual innuendo but none of the nudity.

Which was fine, actually. I could hardly be described as a prude, but I prefer it that way, to tell you the truth.

My favorite character was Julia Sugarbaker, played by Dixie Carter. Always strong, always clear, always articulate, she was also a gracious Southern Belle. Always.

Until she got pissed and had a flat out hissy-fit. No one could have a hissy-fit like Julia Sugarbaker. And nothing got her more pissed than injustice.

And, if that injustice affected someone she loved - like, in this episode, her sister . . . well, stand back, children, because the flames could singe the hair on the top of you head, the back of you neck and way up inside your nostrils.

You know what? The Anglican Communion in general and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in particular will just have to do without me for awhile.

I'm still coming down off a Holy Week / Easter high.

And, Ms. Julia is on a rant.

Give yourself a treat and listen in.

Note to Maddy: Just be thankful you never had to tangle with Julia Sugarbaker.

Oh, and here's a little bonus 50 seconds with a great punchline about TEC at the very end.

Have I mentioned that I LOVED this show?

13 comments:

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Oh my, Thank you. I love Dixie (Carter that is) and Julia Sugarbaker was my hero when she did that. I stole it for Bailey's Buddy.

suzanne said...

Thank you for posting these clips of my most favorite all time show. I just love Dixie Carter when she would go on her rants. she was just like any other sister in that she could berate Suzanne but woe to the other person who tried.
Great laugh for a rainy foggy Tuesday afternoon. I hope you are recovering from the Holy Week Marathon.
Sue

Frair John said...

That rant of Julia's is one of my favorite TV momenst of all time.

Priscilla said...

I was fortunate enough to meet Ms. Carter in a NYC Barnes and Noble, where she was signing a book she had written. She is kind, gracious, and strong in person.

She has shared a story about her grandmother and I went up to her after her reading and as she signed my book I told her a similar story about my grandmother. She wrote the most lovely, long message in my book, to my grandmother, who treasured it for the rest of her life.

What a delightfully genuine person! I miss the show too....

Kay & Sarah said...

Thanks from two southern belles.....the two auntees.

ROBERTA said...

great clip of a great show! so if designing women was the prototype of sex and the city, then what show was the golden girls a prototype for :)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Designing Women, of course!

MadPriest said...

There is nothing stronger, and more useful in an argument, than a strong woman. Unfortunately, it is a scientific fact (see: Professor MadPriest's benchmark paper, "Silly Wimmin - Seen But Not Heard" ) that women don't have the wisdom that men possess. This means that, with women , in stead of reasoned discussion, you just get tantrums.

Perfection, darling, is the best of both worlds in one body, dont you think?

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Perfection in one body? Ah yes, that would be woman, not man. If that were not so, you would not be heterosexual, n'est pas? (I just threw in the French because I know it makes you Brits irrational.)

MadPriest said...

Woman?
No.
Whether straight or lesbian that would still be tediously uni-sexual.

KJ said...

Look at the two priests forgetting that Jesus was perfection in one body, though some would say that made him kind of gay.

Pat Klemme said...

Oh, I miss Designing Women, too! And there on YouTube was my favorite clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpzqq51tjOQ. They were priceless icons of justice for ALL!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, Pat, I love that episode, too. Thanks for the link.