Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, October 20, 2007

He's WHAT?

I've been in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so I've been a bit out of the loop, but I understand J.K. Rowling, author of the insanely popular Harry Potter series, was at Carnegie Hall last night.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Are you surprised?

Me, too.

Actually, I knew someone in that crowd was gay (Statistically, it had to happen. Add to the fact that the author is (was?) CofE and, well, some things are just as obvious as the Iberian nose in the middle of my face.), I just wasn't sure which one. I thought it could be Ron. I wasn't so sure he like Hermione as much as he really wanted to BE Hermione.

When I think about it for more than one red hot second, it makes sense that Professor Dumbledore is the one. He's as close to a priest archetype as you're going to get.

Here's hoping he'll still find true love!

5 comments:

marnanel said...

Did you read the last book yet?

emmy said...

Huh. Well, would you look at that. I never much thought about Dumbledore's sexuality. He's just one of those characters who is SO great and SO wise that you don't think of him as having a "great tragedy." He's Dumbledore--he's always there when you need him--he always knows what to do. But of course he must have experienced some great tragedy and lived through it, otherwise he would not be SO great and SO wise.

But now, what do we think about Minerva McGonagall?

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Marnanel, Yes, I read it cover to cover this summer. I know. I owe y'all a book report. Deep sigh.

Emmy, you know, I never much thought about Dumbledore's sexuality either - just the three Hogwartians.

Minerva McGonagall? Never thought about it before you mentioned her, but come to think of it, I'm happy to claim her as one of God's Rainbow Tribe, but . . well, truth is, she's just Minerva. It's not so much about sexual orientation as it is about intimacy.

Long story. Sometime over tea.

Lindy said...

I must have missed this in the Times. (I'm sure it was in there.) So thanks for putting it on your blog. This is most definitely news I can use.

Lindy

DBW said...

What on earth were you doing in my home town of Grand Rapids, and, if you don't mind, I'm horribly curious where you attended mass (if you attended mass).