Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, October 13, 2007

National Coming Out Day 2007

Okay, so I'm just catching up.

October 11th (Thursday) was "National Coming Out Day"

It was also my friend Jon's birthday.

I was also driving home from Massachusetts, having visited my 84 year old mother who had been hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure.

And, preparing a FABULOUS Louisiana Dinner, featuring authentic Louisiana Dirty Rice (yes, with chicken gizzards), Spicy Cajun Shrimp served with Creamy Grits and Onion Ring encrusted Chicken complimented by a salad of Boston Bib Lettuce, cranberries, blue cheese, and pecans.

Dessert was a Red Velvet cake with cream cheese pecan frosting.

So, you'll excuse me if those of us who are already "out" missed the Big Celebration.

Which, by the way, is the whole point of National Coming Out Day.

2 comments:

SUSAN RUSSELL said...

I kinda missed it too ... what with getting to Rochester and getting organized to chair the Integrity Board Meeting and continue to undermine Western Civilization and destroy the Anglican Communion as we know it. (Or is it undermine the Anglican Communion and dstroy Western Civiliation as we know it ????-- I get confused!)

ANYWAY ... this was TOTALLY my favorite of the HRC Coming Out videos ... eat a piece of Red Velvet Cake for me. I'm off to London where I think they don't know so much from Cajun!

Bill said...

Great video and oh so true. I know exactly what she means by coming out all the time. I'm always quick to point out my orientation and that's because I want to head off any misconceptions down the road. Heterosexuals don’t do this because they automatically assume that everybody is like them. Sex is always turned on. We are always giving off little signals whether we know it or not. The gestures, the manner of speaking, the jokes and the discussion topics are all either appropriate or inappropriate depending on the mix of company. If you are Gay and they don’t know it, it can lead to embarrassing moments. If you are Gay and they do know it, it can throw off the whole dynamic but at least they understand.