Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, October 29, 2007

Love that Dirty Water!

We won! We won! We won!


You have to understand. I'm from Boston.

Okay, 'Southeastern Massachusetts'.

Oh, the city looks like a cultural center. We have that accent that sounds like it's trying real hard to be distinguished.

We have the Kennedy Dynasty and the Irish Mob.

Harvard is the university that ate Cambridge and is eating Boston, when Boston College, Boston University, Tufts Medical School and all the other major universities aren't eating up real estate.

The joint is thick with colleges and universities, and more Pubs claiming to be Irish or restaurants claiming to be Italian where people drink more respective beer or wine than in the entire countries of Ireland or Italy.

There are lots of old, proper brick buildings and even older and perhaps not so proper money.

Truth is, you see, we're just a little backwater town.

As far as the Red Sox are concerned, you have to understand that many of us who were born and/or grew up in Boston are genetically hardwired to expect disappointment.

I mean, it was one thing to break the Curse of the Bambino in 2004. But, THIS! This is absolutely amazing!

One of the news polls is now asking the question, "Are the Red Sox a dynasty?" I laughed out loud and hit "No".

(Had there been a response that said, "Are you kidding me?" I would have chosen that one.)

Not surprisingly, 58% of the responses agreed with me.

Clearly, the question was asked by a Yankee Fan and the answers were given by Red Sox fans. We know our place.

We know that you celebrate the victories when they come and try to be humble in prayer like the Tax Collector in yesterday's gospel.

(I won't tell you who represented the Yankees in that parable. Only because readers here are smart, even if some of you have misguided loyalty.)

So, just for today, it's a celebration!

Thanks, boys, for the memories. You made it the best summer yet!

Love that Dirty Water!

1 comment:

Sarah Lawton said...

Woohoo! Hooray, hooray, hooray!

I love my adopted city of San Francisco, but I will always be a Sox fan by birthright and careful education courtesy of my dear grandfather, who did live to see the curse reversed when he was 96 (and I too am old enough to remember 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003....and finally 2004). No, I will never take victory for granted. Though, oh my, what a great team this year and especially in the postseason, just a joy to watch.

Sarah
(born in the Berkshires, raised in Worcester)