Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, June 29, 2009

How to get to heaven in Ireland


Note: Contributed by Ms. Conroy, herself. Yes, she's feeling better.

I was testing children in my Dublin Sunday school class to see if they understood the concept of getting to heaven.

I asked them, 'If I sold my house and my car, had a big jumble sale and gave all my money to the church, would that get me into heaven?'

'NO!' the children answered.

'If I cleaned the church every day, mowed the garden, and kept everything tidy, would that get me into heaven?'

Again, the answer was 'NO!'

By now I was starting to smile.

'Well, then, if I was kind to animals and gave sweeties to all the children, and loved my husband, would that get me into heaven?'

Again, they all answered 'NO!'.

I was just bursting with pride for them.

I continued, 'Then how can I get into heaven?'

A six year-old boy shouted out:

'YUV GOTTAE BE FOCKN' DEAD..........

13 comments:

Ostrich said...

Don't you just love 'em!

Karen said...

LOL I LOVE it. I needed a good laugh (just had the news delivered that the AC compressor is history). May have to share this one.

Jane Priest said...

HA! HA! HA! HA! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

WilliamK said...

Thanks for the good laugh.

Of course, being a Bible-nerd, I have to point out that the young fellow's response is actually quite right: see Romans 6:3-4. ;-)

it's margaret said...

Glad Ms. Conroy did not dislocate her funny bone (and is feeling better!).

oh dear, my word is "twoold"....

Марко Фризия said...

So... um... do you know where I can get this Irish thing in Flannelgraph format?

suzanne said...

My laugh for the day!

Thanks to Ms. C!

JimB said...

Great joke and I am glad to hear Ms. Conroy is feeling better. Prayers continue.

FWIW
jimB

Magdalene6127 said...

You know, the joke is great, but I'm totally distracted by the graphic: the big "BUT" below the cross.

Ominous, no?

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

It's from a FundyBaptist Church site in Texas. How could we have ever guessed?

KJ said...

LOL!!!

Yes, though not of Baptist origins, I am familiar with the diagram.

Muthah+ said...

That, too!

Theodora May said...

Thanks for the laugh. As for the diagram, it is way Baptist. I can see that miles away.