Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, June 04, 2009

A new game: Let's Play "Name that Couple!


The following game was sent to me by Paul who found it on Daily KOS 'Cheers and Jeers.'

You know, when it becomes THIS obvious, the issue is really not an issue anymore.

So, everybody ready? Let's play a game!

All you have to do is figure out which of the following was said by a straight married couple, and which was said by a gay married couple.

Ready? Go!

"Quit hogging the remote."

"It's your turn to take the dog out to pee."

"Hurry up or we'll be late for church."

"Be right back---I gotta pick the kids up from soccer practice."

"Happy anniversary."

"You're not wearing that to Jacob's Bar Mitzvah. Are you? Really?"

"I promise I'll be nice to your mother. For at least the first 15 minutes."

"You never, you always, why can't you, why don't you, why didn't you, how could you, why couldn’t you, why haven't you, why aren’t you...?"

"Our pastor married us. It was a great ceremony."

"We're not religious so we went to a justice of the peace."

"She voted for McCain, I voted for Obama. Let's leave it at that."

"Turn right, turn left, no the other left, now you've gone too far, gimme the map, you're speeding again..."

"I'm gonna cry at Rusty's graduation like a busted garden hose. You've been warned. Deal with it."

"Not tonight, I have a headache."

"Oh look! The underwear fairy made another deposit on the bedroom floor. How special!"

"I love you."

Good luck! Hey, here's an idea: Why not mail this to all your conservative friends and see how they do!

10 comments:

susankay said...

There is only one comment I have ever thought that would be definitive: "God damn -- you've left the toilet seat up AGAIN!!" -- clearly straight.

Riley said...

There was a time in my life
when I would've thought "Hurry up or we'll be late for church" could only be 'straight', but thanks to you, your blog and others like it, I no longer believe that to be true. Thank you, Elizabeth for putting your time and energy into your daily posts. It keeps me going and gives me hope.

Jane Priest said...

Certainly, I think straight people (myself included) take our state and church sanctioned marriages for granted. I have almost daily proof of that in my own household

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

;=)

(the v-word is "giverr")

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

SusanKay - Yup. No question. Straight.

Riley - Awww, thanks, sweetie.

I think that's part of what this whole time in the church is about, Joie. I think it's the LGBT Tribe's gift to the church - to rethink the value of marriage.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Quality, not quantity ;=)

walter said...

Once uopn a time in America I attended a conference of clinical nature. The coordinator was Albert Hellis, the famous rational emotive therapist. He is looking for a volunteer to go up on 'stage' and do a session with him. He says it is an opportunity because the session will be free of charge. Are we on?

I am up on stage with microphone and all the rest. We get right to the point: What is your problem? Problem, I do not think I have a problem. Well, unless you have a problem we cannot go on. OK, YUP I have a problem with intimacy. Do you have a problem with intimacy or do you have a problem with being intimate? Yup, I have a problem with being intimate.

Since then we have been walking to-get-her. Really? Really, it is a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Walter Vitale, Buffalo Shepherd

David G. said...

You Need To Trust In my Light!!!

or suffer the consequences, ...separation from the God and Son you love,(in the eyes of the Church) ...

There's Always the "United Catholic Church", ...His Vision!!

Bill said...

"Hurry up or we'll be late for church"??
Around here it's more like "Hurry up or we'll be late for coffee hour".

walter said...

Quality versus quantity is an issue that I have been struggling with for many years. Finally the revelation came for to be given to Chrisian bloggers. For quality we intend not quantity. When we refer quantity to Christian existentialism we intend either a successsion of chronological moments or a succession of existential, I may say even eschatological, moments. Yup, as seductive as this linear sequence could appear, still it is not your quality. Quality is whatever is not linear, sequential, either chronological or eschatological. Let us ask our angel to bring down the Holy Spirit for the conception of the triplets Red Mr. Peanut Bank, Gallito Mescalito and Miss Egyptian Hippo of Love.

And what about 'God is the Ruler' of the Rev. Dr. Paul Smith? It is still valid but the linearity of which I have precedently thought of at first sight was sin. Now it is a linearity in the sense that the same quality of moment is elaborated and in this sense we get closer to Thurman' 'Centering Moment' and we bring home a sense of united Catholicism that has been preached informally on 'Telling Secrets'.

Walter Vitale, Buffalo Shepherd

P.S. If some of you wondder about the naming 'Buffalo Shepherd' I owe to say that it is not a nickname but an acronym deeply rooted in American Thomist Christianity, and before that on Faith. Dr. Elizabeth is my witness. I hope she finds a way to let us hear by recording Buffalo Shepherd.