Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Shekinah is in the house



A heartfelt email to to the House of Bishops/Deputy Listserv (HOB/D - aka "HOBDEE") by Sara McGinley caught me by surprise tonight. She was expressing her disappointment at not getting a ticket to the Consecration of Katharine Jefferts Schori as Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA and one of the 38 Primates in the Anglican Communion - the first womnan to be in either position.

I offered my ticket to her and her baby Naoimi (check out her awesome blog: eliotandnaomi.blogspot.com) , with gratitude and thanksgiving for a new generation of women in the Episcopal Church, and with certainty (having met her at General Convention in Columbus) that her daughter, Naoimi, will be a Presiding Bishop one day.

Almost immediately, I recieved an email from The Rev. Joie Clee Weiher Assistant Rector; Trinity, Upperville, VA who wrote:

"I am a young (under 30) brand new mother and priest in the diocese of VA (struggling to reconcile these wonderful privileges in my life) and YES it would have been nice if there had been some effort to get tickets out to the young women and girls of the Episcopal Church in order to show them that "Yes, YOU can answer God's call in your life." There are still so many parishes out there that have never had a woman in the pulpit or at the altar and so many girls for whom a calling to ordained ministry never crosses their mind because they have not "seen" it realized. It sure never would have occurred to me if I had not been in a parish with two female priests."

That inspired me to write to the Hobdee listserv, and on my blog and to all the ships at sea:

"What if the men who received a ticket to be seated at the Consecration of the Rt. Rev'd Katharine Jefferts Schori as the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church, USA and one of the 38 Primates of the Anglican Communion - the first woman EVER in either position - offered their seat to a women in leadership under 35 years of age?

How amazing would THAT be?

Young women on this list - will you please write to this listserv if you have NOT received a ticket so we can possibly match you up with a male who has?

Lord have mercy, I do believe Shekinah is in the house!"

Okay, boys. Time to step up to the plate.

Shekinah is watching. And, you really don't want to mess with her.

I'm willing to match men who are willing to give up their seat with young women under the age of 35 who need one.

Write to me at E M Kaeton at aol dot com and I'll gladly be the yenta of this marvelous endeavor.

Look out! Shekinah is in the house.

1 comment:

Ann said...

The link is
http://eliotandnaomi.blogspot.com/

too many "i" s in the one you have.