Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, November 06, 2021

The UMC Split: Coming soon to your neighborhood


Well, it has started. The church signs are beginning to change in the Methodist churches in my neighborhood.

You can tell the . . . "conservative" (read: homophobic) . . . churches from the "progressive" ones because they have either gotten new signs that say, "Methodist Church" vs "United Methodist Church" or they have inelegantly taped over the "United" - apparently (hopefully) until the new sign arrives.

The interesting thing is that some have, in fact, gotten new signs which say, "Methodist Church" but they still have the highly recognizable UMC symbol of the cross and the flame. I'm told by my UMC friends that this is a breach of the separation agreement.

If a church has left the UMC, it is my understanding that they are not allowed to identify themselves as "United," nor are they allowed to use the logo.

It will be interesting to see who holds whom accountable and how this particular aspect gets argued. It reminds me of the law suit filed by Bishop Bill Wantland, now retired of the Diocese of Eau Claire, to keep the name "The Episcopal Church". He lost, but it was very telling where the whole ACNA thing was going.

I'm also told that some churches are leaving the UMC not (just) because of their "conservative" positions or their theology about the ordination and blessing of the marriage of LGBTQ people, but because it was financially more lucrative for them, given the value of the property which they are allowed to keep (having learned some hard lessons from their Episcopal kith and kin.)

It will be interesting to see who holds whom accountable and how this particular aspect gets argued. It reminds me of the lawsuit filed by Bishop Bill Wantland, now retired of the Diocese of Eau Claire, to keep the name "The Episcopal Church". He lost, but it was very telling where the whole ACNA thing was going.include LGBTQ people and their allies, friends, and families.

However, the conservative narrative is that the "united" part of the church wouldn't include their exclusive theological positions. That should sound familiar. That's exactly what the conservatives in TEC said. "You have to include us, but you have to get rid of those people or we'll leave - and sue you for the property."

I'm told that one local Methodist pastor echoed Ronald Reagan from the pulpit and preached "I didn't leave the United Methodist Church; the United Methodist Church left me."

Cute. And, not true. Although I think it a dubious distinction to be sure to align oneself with the likes of Ronald Reagan. I'm just waiting to hear that this pastor is preaching "trickle-down salvation" vs "sanctifying grace".

Any day now. Any day.

His is also the church which has taped over the word "United" in front of the word "Methodist" on the church sign out front. When I first saw it a few weeks ago, it literally hurt my heart. I remember hearing a small cry of pain escaping my throat when I first saw it.

I wondered what was going through the heart and mind and soul of the person as they put row after row of white tape over the word "united" - on both sides of the sign. Did that make them feel good? Feel awkward? Feel sad? Feel triumphant?

My wonderments turned into prayer from time to time. I didn't get a direct answer but the Holy Spirit did come and provide me with a measure of consolation and hope - and laughter.

It is getting dark earlier and earlier these days here in the Midlantic. I was driving home from some meeting or another which meant that I was going to drive by that Methodist Church at night.

As the lit church sign began to appear on the windshield of my car, I did a double-take. The sign said, quite clearly, "United Methodist Church".

What? Had something happened? Did they have a change of heart which led to a change of mind?

I slowed down as I drove by the sign.

A closer look revealed that the "United" wasn't quite as bright as "Methodist" but when the light illuminated the darkness, the tape could no longer completely blot out the word "United".

There it was - "United" - just waiting for the light that the darkness could not overcome.

Now, like any good Episcopal priest, I can wring at least two, maybe even three sermons out of one metaphor, but I think in this case, there's really only one sermon worth preaching about that sign.

I think God is just slapping her ample thigh and thoroughly enjoying the antics of the Holy Spirit, while Jesus is chuckling behind his facepalm.

I still pray daily for our Christian kith and kin in the Methodist Church, just as I pray for the dioceses and priests and people in The Episcopal Church who are not yet 'on board' - much less united - with the whole inclusivity thing.

I do think, however, that one day the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus will be answered by God's people, and we all will be one, just as God and Jesus are one, no matter how much tape we use to try to cover up our unity.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (Jn 8:12)
 

No comments: