Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Ash Wednesday

 


 

What will you do with the gift of your one, wild, precious life?

 

That’s really the question of Ash Wednesday.

 

In a few moments, I will impose ashes on your forehead in the sign of the cross and say, “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”

 

We are being asked to remember that our lives are short. We are mortal. Only God is immortal. But through the cross of Christ we are given the gift of eternal life.

 

In order to more fully appreciate that gift, we are asked, in this Season of Lent, to consider our mortal lives. What are we doing with the time we have been given? How are we making a difference in this world?

 

No, not everyone is here to find a cure for cancer. Not everyone is here to figure out how to land a space ship on a planet in a galaxy far, far away. Not everyone is here to develop the latest gadget in technology.

 

But, we are all here for a purpose. We are all given one special something by our Creator, one special spark of the divinity of our God, one unique gift that may not change the world, may not make someone’s day, but may change the moment to something meaningful and special.

 

Yesterday, I visited with a woman who is in a nursing home. She has Dementia and Alzheimer’s. Even though there were many moments when she couldn’t create a sentence to carry an entire thought, she still had a wonderful kind smile and a sparkle of fun in her eye.

 

As we ended our visit, I asked her if she wanted me to pray. ‘Oh yes,’ she said. So, I prayed and then ended my prayer with The Lord’s Prayer. When I finished, she smiled at me and said, “Oh, that was beautiful – especially that last prayer. Did you make it up yourself?”

 

“No,” I told her, “that was the Lord’s prayer, the prayer Jesus taught us.” “Oh, I remember him,” she said. “Nice man. He mows the lawn at the church. Always does such a good job.”

 

Later, I called her daughter to tell her of my visit and I mentioned this last part of the story. Her daughter and her spouse exclaimed, “Yes! That’s my mom. She was very involved and active in her Methodist church. She and my dad were very generous in giving their time and money. But, my mother always had a way of making you feel special. She knows how to make you feel like you are unique and you have a unique gift. Alzheimer’s has stolen so much from her. I’m so glad it hasn’t stolen that gift from her.”

 

We all have a purpose in this life. Each one of us has a unique gift. Something no one can take from us. We are called together to do something that couldn’t be done any other way.

 

“Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.”

 

So, what are you going to do with your one, wild, precious life?  Amen.

No comments: