Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

I Speak Episcopalian

It's mostly during Holy Week that I realize once again that Episcopalians really do have their own language. We have several new members over at the church I'm privileged to serve. I think I spend most of my time answering questions like,

"What is it that they call the person who carries the cross? And, why do they call it that?"

"Why is it called a 'torch' when it's a long candle holder?"

"Here, under the Ky . . . Ky . . RE-A.... it says 'Plainsong'. Is that what that word means?"

"Why do we call them acolytes'? What does it mean?"

"You said to gather in the Narthex. Where is that?"

"You said the extra robes were in the undercroft. I don't know where that is."

But, my favorite question came from a new member, a young woman, who asked, "What are the qualifications to carry the cross in church? Because, you know, well, see? I was homeless for about five years. Yeah, and you know, see? I did some things I'm not proud of, but it was really the best choice between some really bad choices. So, I'm kinda embarrassed and I don't want a lot of people asking a lot of questions so, you know, am I qualified?"

Oh, sweetheart, I said, I don't know anyone in this congregation who is more qualified than you are to carry the cross. I have no doubt that you will be one of the best-qualified crucifers in the history of crucifers in The Episcopal Church.

"Well, I don't know about that, but thank you," she said. "Just one more question: Do I get to wear white gloves?"

Absolutely, my friend. Let's go find you a pair.

These are the best moments in the church. I live for them. I pray for them. And, every now and again, my prayers are answered.

A blessed Holy Wednesday to you all. May all your churches be filled with highly qualified crucifers, as well as people to carry the long candle holders.

No comments: