Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, September 30, 2022

Camino: Datline Lisbon

Bom Dia from Lisbon, Portugal. At least the sun is out and we're all eating breakfast so I'm assuming it's morning. I got about 3 hours of a fitful "cat nap" on the plane from Charlotte to London.

They don't call it "the red eye" for nothing.

I thought I might catch a few winks in the lounge at Heathrow but that just wasn't going to happen. After a long layover and a flight delay, I finally got into my hotel room a little after 1 AM. I think I finally fell asleep around 2:30 and then up at 7:30 to shower and get myself organized for breakfast and the trip to Porto.

I'm going to head out in a few minutes, after I finish my coffee, and walk around this part of the city. Then I meet up with a few members of my group before we head off to Fatima. We'll visit the shrine and attend mass then lunch and off to Porto.

I'm hoping to meet up with a friend of a friend (all Americans seem to have a friend of a friend) in Porto. I'm so looking forward to discovering a little more about that city and why so many American ex-pats live there.

I've made some time at the end of my Camino to come back to Lisbon where I'll do a little more exploring here. I want to check out the Fado Museum and go to a Fado concert. But, once again, I'm getting out ahead of my skis. It's in my DNA.

One last thing before I head out for the day: It's amazing to me to be in a place where so many people look like me. Seriously. The waitress this morning could be my cousin. It's not just her coloring or her facial features. It's the way she tilts her head when she smiles. It's the inflection in her voice - even in English. It's the commitment to hard work - to go the extra mile and consider it just part of the journey.

I think I'm home. I think I found "my people".

Sleep? Who needs sleep on Camino?

More later.

Bom dia.
 

No comments: