Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Intriguing God


Actually, I think this is destined to be a classic comedy skit, much like Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First."

It's brilliant.

And, in it's own way, a profound theological statement about faith.

You just have to understand that it's coming from Alice. But, it's okay if you don't understand Alice. God doesn't either, I'm sure.

As Geraldine points out, God is rather intrigued.

Which, I think, may well be a profound statement about God's relationship with humankind.

Oh, Lord, I think I'd better stop now. I'm beginning to sound like Alice.

7 comments:

suzanne said...

I thought the vicar might just slap her with a book again.

Anonymous said...

Errrm...as an afficianado of this series, especially the tags at the end...Alice *is* God. Pure (in an enfleshed sort of way, lovely [in- otherwise, why do we love her?], and grounded. It's us Vicars who keep being astounded and whose vocation is learning, growth, and astonishment at the ones God puts in our way. Why, just yesterday afternoon, a whole family of Alices received communion at my hand, and, honest, I can't wait to visit them again.

:)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

You know, Scott, I agree with you.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

So do I ;=)

Doorman-Priest said...

They are one of the great comedy double acts of our time.

MarkBrunson said...

Somewhat OT, but, if you are familiar with the film version of Fiddler on the Roof, there is a scene in which Golde goes to the local Orthodox church in search of her daughter, to be met by an indignant deacon -

. . that deacon is a young David Lloyd-Pack(sic), AKA Owen "I've-had-my-hand-up-more-cows'-backsides-than-James-Herriot" Newitt!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Alice. Such a sweetheart. I do love the Vicar of Dibley, not least because it provides a handy reference point to those who don't really know much about the C of E (my family, for example). "Like the Vicar of Dibley!" one or two have exclaimed as the penny drops, and I smile and nod. I only hope that if I ever get there that I will have an Alice with me. Head firmly in the clouds to keep my feet on the ground. :)