Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Quean on the Board



Bishop Gene was on The Daily Show last night.

He TOTALLY rocked!

The only other bishop to be on a comedy program that made me laugh like that was when Jack Spong was on Bill Mahr. Bill asked Jack what he thought of LA. Jack said, in that wonderful Virginia lilt, "Well the traffic here really moves much faster than in NJ. Crossing the streets here helps me better understand the Prayer Book words of the difference between the 'quick and the dead'".

Bill was on the floor.

Check it out - Bishop Gene Robinson, prophet, poet and STAR!

(Pay no attention to that grating noise coming from the right side of the aisle. That's just the Trolls, gnashing their teeth in utter jealousy!)

And, check out +Gene's blog entry: http://canterburytalesfromthefringe.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-day.html

9 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Just ain't no two ways about it. he's muh hero. He has the ability to suck up pain and radiate love, something I wish I could do half as well.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

What Kirke said!

... but I do think the guy on the left rocks too ;=)

IT said...

QueEn....

Caminante said...

Can someone please tell me what the joke is and the gist of the interview? I have tried four different places and can't get the video to play; it just skips to 'replay.' Thanks.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Caminante, my dear,

This is +Gene playing the old joke on himself. The old joke is -

Q:Why are the British so bad at playing chess?

A:They often can't tell their bishops from their queens.

So, Jon joked that the Mall was so crowded, Gene must have been doubly handicapped because a bishop can only move diagonally.

Gene joked back "You have to understand that there was a queen on the board as well."

Brian R said...

Thanks for this. I read +Gene's blog but did not know the joke. Yes the man is my hero.

Fran said...

That video was hilarious and the post from Gene had me weeping like a baby.

Kirkepiscatoid said it indeed.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

IT---that spelling is middle English, often used by our much-beloved Louie Crew (founder of Integrity, the Episcopal LGBT group).

Doxy

IT said...

Oh, an insider's affectation..... thus proving I am no insider! ;-)

Thanks Dox