Monday, January 19, 2009
Apparently, there is some truth to the rumor that HBO's microphone system did not function through most of Bishop Robinson's invocation at the "We Are One" concert on Sunday. Booooo-hisssss!!!
I encourage everyone to write to HBO and register your complaint. You can do that here. No, it won't change anything - THIS TIME - but it will send a strong message to the producers of HBO that prayer is important, and that as this man is the first open, honest LGBT bishop in a 'mainline' religious denomination, they missed an important historic moment.
When you write, please don't yell or curse or say nasty things. Simply tell them that you are upset or discouraged or yes, even angry. Just don't try to 'shame and blame'. Let's leave that technique to the Trolls over at Viagraland - where it belongs.
I know, I know. They make a lot of noise, and it is distracting, but just ignore the gleeful handclapping of the Trolls over all of this. They reveal more about themselves and the state of their spiritual lives than they say anything bad about +Gene.
Head on over to Susan Russell's Inch to see more pictures and a good round up of the news reporting on the event.
Here's something from the blog "TMP Cafe". When things go wrong - especially 'human error'(and even when it's 'divine intervention') - it's always good to find the humor in it all.
Top 10 reasons HBO censored Gene Robinson
January 18, 2009, 9:34PM
I heard the opening of the inaugural concert live on NPR and then watched the rebroadcast on HBO--no invocation by gay bishop Gene Robinson. More details and a link to write HBO here at JoeMyGod's blog, but while we wait for HBO to explain, here are my top ten reasons the invocation was not broadcast:
1. HBO sound system cannot broadcast gay voices.
2. Program ran over schedule, so HBO went back in their time machine and cut the beginning of the live broadcast.
3. Appearance of a gay men's chorus went way over HBO's 'gay quota' for the event.
4. HBO is a family-friendly network that does not carry offensive material like frontal nudity, profanity, or bishops.
5. Ellen DeGeneres was jealous.
6. Dumbledore was jealous.
7. HBO was warned that terrorists were watching for a signal that America was gay weak.
8. Rick Warren was jealous.
9. Everyone knows all gays are atheists.
10. Sarah Palin used her special anti-Russian spyware to block the signal.