Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, January 30, 2009

Why Parents Should Always Check Their Children's Homework


A first grade girl handed in the above drawing for a homework assignment.

After it was graded and the child brought it home, she returned to school the next day with the following note:

Dear Ms. Davis,

I want to be very clear on my child’s illustration. It is NOT of me on a stage with a brass pole in a strip joint. I work at Home Depot and had commented to my daughter how much money we made during the recent snowstorm. This photo is of me selling a shovel.

Mrs. Harrington

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, that is unbelievably hilarious...thank you so much for a good laugh to start the weekend.

Bishop Alan Wilson said...

Elizabeth: This morning, for some reason, this felt to me like one of the funniest things in the history of the Universe. Many, many thanks.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

jenrick and Bishop Alan - it is quite funny, isn't it. Then again, Bishop, love the picture. Erm . . . is that Jesus? Just a guess. And I'm guess the artist is a grandchild or one of your flock (which may be the same thing).

Robert said...

That is a classic Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing it!

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I am reminded of one of my cousin's drawings that got the school counselors hopping. She had drawn her family with one very obvious black person in it. (In Adair Co., MO, which is 96% white, this would be noticed)...

They asked her, "who's this?"

"My sister."

Of course, the teacher knew my aunt and uncle had no children other than white children.

So they get all worked up that coloring her sister black was this huge negative self-esteem/jealousy thing and quiz her about this stuff. She is annoyed answering the questions and it shows. The counselor calls my aunt and goes on about "we have to talk about J's self-esteem...we have a serious problem here."

So my aunt gets to school and says, "Why do YOU suppose she colored her sister black?"

My aunt just looks at them with the "DUH" look and says, "Because she's been a lifeguard at the pool all summer and she tans darker than any of us!"

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, I LOVE that story, Kirke. Now, THAT's a classic.

Bex said...

very hilarious...made me laugh inside 'cause I was in a public place when I saw this