Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Monday, April 07, 2008

I am pro-life


I'll admit it. I'm weary. I have to say this one thing, then it's off to bed for me.

In the past five days, I have logged over 1,000 miles on my car. I've just returned from a visit with Mother, who, as I have previously mentioned, has her license as a travel agent for guilt trips. If nothing else, today's visit was more than enough evidence that, at 84 years of age, she's still a pro.

On the way home tonight, I listened to a BBC programme during which two American women were being interviewed in a newscast about reproductive rights in America.

As I listened, I found myself growing more and more deeply concerned about the continued efforts in this country to erode civil rights and personal liberties, including reproductive rights.

The climate of fear which has been created by some on the fringes of the Religious Right has obviously frozen some grey cell brain matter and inhibited reasonable, logical thought.

As the BBC reporter continued to make the distinction between "pro-life" and "pro-choice" I realized how false those labels are. Furthermore, I realized that I am pro-choice precisely because I am pro-life.

And, that's the thing: I am unapologetically pro-life:

I value the life of every person and respect the dignity of every human being, especially women, to choose what is best for their own lives and the lives of those they care for and love.

Well, there it is, then.  I don't know about you, but I feel much better.

Now, it's off to brush my teeth, do my evening ablutions, say my prayers and then its off to bed, to dream, perchance to sleep.

6 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I don't know about you, but I think life begins at your retirement party!

For that matter, I'm not even sure I was ensouled until age 45.

Don't sweat the mom thing, Elizabeth. I am a screwup in my mom's eyes because I don't quit my job and martyr myself by moving back to my home town and living across the street from her and doing her every whim; she sees it as the "gold standard" since she lived across the street from my grandmother for years...but she sort of leaves out the part she was retired and no longer wished to have a career and could not bring herself to move out of town after her divorce. So there ya go.

But in the words of Jackson Browne:

"I'm going to rent myself a house
In the shade of the freeway,
I'm going to pack my lunch in the morning
And go to work each day,
And when the evening rolls around
I'll go on home and lay my body down
And when the morning light comes streaming in
Ill get up and do it again
Amen."

...you, me and Jackson can all do that tomorrow!

Paul Davison said...

Curious that, for so many who call themselves "pro life", their concern for life begins at conception and ends at birth.

Mary Beth said...

I will TESTIFY to that!

well said, thank you!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Kirke - thanks for those words from Jackson Browne. The relationship between Mothers and Daughters is one of the most complicated of all relationships. The Trinity ain't got nothin' on us.

Thanks, Paul and Mary Beth. I do believe we ought to reclaim some of our language which has been hijacked by the fringe of the Religious Right.

I am pro-life.

Bill said...

I used to consider myself “Pro-Choice” and still lean way in that direction. That’s the problem, direction. As soon as you say “Pro Life” or “Pro Choice”, you have entered a world of absolutes. As soon as a person applies one or the other label to themselves they feel a need to get out a shovel and start digging trenches. Their minds shut down and they refuse to see or hear any argument to the contrary of their position.

I’m beginning to see myself as “Pro Reason”. There are valid mental and psychological reasons why abortion should be an option. There are also situations where the rights of the unborn should be paramount. There is so much heat in the matter that the opposing sides are often content to throw punches rather than have discussions.

What would happen if Roe V. Wade were overturned. That would solve everything right. No, Wrong. The affluent would just do what they always did. Hop on a plane and go somewhere else. They would probably time it to catch the ski season in Europe. The poor would go back to coat hangers (have we forgotten that) and hemorrhage to death as they did before. Then the Pro Lifers would say good, they got what they deserved. It’s the same mentality that sees a gay getting beat to death as getting what they deserve because their lifestyle is contrary to God’s word.

Meanwhile the right, who are more or less Pro Life, would still not want to help pay for child care or pediatric medical bills.

We all have a habit of stating our positions or voting our positions and then walking away from the problem. Getting your hands dirty is work for someone else. Let the churches and other bleeding hearts take care of the poor mothers.

What really sets my teeth to gnashing is where men get involved. This issue directly affects the health and well being of the woman. The clown in the suit with the placard, demonstrating out side the abortion clinic, has never gone through child birth. He has never carried a child in his womb. Hell, he doesn’t even have a womb. He has never been raped and then found out he was pregnant. These are things that only a woman can experience and only a woman should have a say in. It’s not simply the birth. There are psychological issues that can destroy a life just as easily as a knife or a gun. They are pro life but where is there concern for the life of the mother. Teenage suicides are up and now we want to tell these young girls that there is no way out. Tell them that there life is over. Great, that will really help.

Back to “Pro Reason” – there has to be middle ground. There must be ways to safeguard the life of the mother and the rights of the unborn. We are a fairly intelligent species. All we have to do is apply our God given talents. It will be a compromise. Not all will be happy. But maybe, just maybe, we can shoot for the greatest good.

Mary Jane said...

This reminds me of that old button:
If I can't be trusted with making a choice, why trust me with a child?"
I join you Elizabeth , I am also Pro Life and I support Roe v Wade.