Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Believe in Angels


Some of you may have read my little essay on "Monsters."

Well, apparently, so did an angel.

As part of that post, I included my shameless pitch for an OED = Old English Dictionary. I've wanted one for years. It appears on every "wish list" for Christmas, Birthdays, Bat Mitzvahs, and Supermarket openings. Like I said, I'm shameless.

Well, someone was watching. A very angel, in fact.

A twenty-volume set of the OED was delivered to the church on Thursday.

I was stunned beyond description.

I HAVE MY VERY OWN OED!!!!!! Look! Look! Here it is:

I spent the better part of this afternoon clearing off the shelves in my home office to make a place for them. I have never been happier in my entire life.

They were dedicated to the deceased parents of my Angel Benefactor.

Of you mercy and kindness, please pray for Samuel and Vera Aloise, in whose memory they were given. And join me in a prayer from my deeply grateful heart for my Angel Benefactor who took part of the proceeds from the sale of his parents home to purchase this extraordinary gift for me.

And no, the irony of the fact that an essay on Monsters prompted the generosity of an Angel is not lost on me.

I believe in Angels, and, as I've said, some of my favorite Angels are those with muddy feet. I don't know for sure, but suspect my Angel Benefactor's feet are quite muddy, which is why s/he was moved to generosity and kindness to bestow such a wondrous gift for a scoundrel such as I.

Solo Dei Gloria!

8 comments:

susankay said...

Prayers for Samuel & Vera and the Angel.

Enjoy the heck out of your OED.

How wonderful.

Muthah+ said...

Now I know who to email when I find an Old English word that I don't know! I don't have room in my house for that. Besides J would constantly be trying those words on me in conversation.

Caminante said...

WOW!!!! And you don't need a magnifying glass to look up words.

I'm with Muthah -- you're going to get every word question, etymological research question around.

Enjoy.

And may Samuel and Vera and the Angel laugh and laugh with you in joy.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I am absolutely amazed AND I invite anyone reading this to bring on your questions about any word you want. I will be only too glad to look it up for you. What an absolute delight to have that chore and, rejoice with Samuel and Vera who must be rejoicing in heaven.

marnanel said...

Good grief. Lucky you. *envies*

[oh, envy is a deadly sin and all that, isn't it? :) ]

Fran said...

Holy cats! That is amazing and so very wonderful.

Fr Craig said...

can someone tell me (who has no Latin) whether it is 'sola deo gloria' or 'soli deo gloria' or 'solo deo gloria'? I've seen all of these...
Thanks!
Oh, no doubt about angels!

Allie said...

Prayers for Samuel and Vera

and wow..

just wow.

Enjoy your OED11