Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, May 01, 2010

The new PT

This was what was for supper last night.

Alaskan King Crab Legs.

Dos Locos. Rehoboth Beach. Served with drawn butter, Tex-Mex rice, and salad with ginger dressing. Washed down with a glass of crisp, light California Pinot Grigo. All enjoyed with a very dear friend.

The memory lingers, still.

The shells of the crab legs were rather difficult to open, requiring the movement, rotation and use of certain arm and shoulder muscles.

So, not only did the meal have nutritional value, as well as being a social event, it also became part of my physical therapy. My shoulder doesn't feel half as frozen tonight.

Coincidence? I think not.

Hmmm . . . I wonder if I should submit this for approval to my insurance company?

Nah - It's probably considered "out of network" and I didn't get prior authorization.

Just a joke. Just a joke.

God knows, there's not much humor in either health care or the reform of the insurance industry.

But the food industry is doing just fine. Very fine, in fact.

Indeed, I can hardly wait for my next round of "therapy".

5 comments:

Fran said...

Hmmm... Crab legs as physical therapy, but only if wine is involved. It is not funny, but a wry smile at a moment like this is heart-therapy.

And I am glad that you are feeling a bit better!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Thanks, Fran. I'm thinking I may even have a good night's sleep tonight.

Brother David said...

I had Dengue Fever in the Fall of 2003. It attacked every joint in my body and then settled in both shoulders. For six months I felt pain with every movement. I tossed and turned every night. I took a lot of paracetamol.

When it was over I had very limited range of motion. I could not raise either arm above shoulder level to the front or to the side and even less behind. I could barely scratch my own back with a backscratcher! I had to rub against doorways and things.

Today I am near normal except for behind me. I can barely touch my two hands together behind me.

I constantly was working at increasing my range of motion by using my arms and increasing the distance that I stretched my reach. But I attribute a lot of my recovery to a massage/physical therapist trained in the osteopathic technique of direct myofascial release at the Upledger Institute in Florida. Unfortunately she and her family moved elsewhere in Mexico and I cannot find another trained therapist here in Monterrey. I would like to resolve the issue of limited motion behind.

You have my deep sympathy.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, Dahveed, I had no idea you knew such pain. I'm sitting here now, feeling very grateful for the TENS unit as it provides electric pulses of deep massage to the muscles surrounding my left shoulder. I can't imagine six months of this. I am looking for a good physical therapist. I begin my search tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your story.

Fr Craig said...

hmm, crab legs. Will it help my tendonitis, which killed me for 3 weeks? I pray it's so, I love crab... by the way, I had the shot - cleared me up in under a week. used to use it for my knee before I had it replaced. I see no sense in pain when it can be helped, and my knee surgery was truly a miracle...
blessings.
CS