Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Egyptian Pilgrimage: It begins


 

And so it begins. 
 
I'm at JFK in NYC, awaiting my flight to Cairo and my pilgrimage to the footsteps of Moses and the flight of the Holy Family. 
 
I've never flown out of JFK for any destination. I've flown from most of the other major airports but not this one. I'm here to tell you that every horror story you've ever heard about the way things work here is absolutely true. 
 
Honest to Ethel! I'm convinced that if the folks who run this airport gave their employees a sense of pride in the work they do, treated them with respect, and paid them a decent wage, people would be singing the praises of this airport. Seriously. 
 
Anyway, that's behind me now. Only wonderful stuff is ahead. My dearest friends, David and Sean, not only gave me (excellent) food and (amazing) shelter, with great conversation and bucketloads of love, they actually arranged for my transportation to the airport which was lovely. 
 
And, and, and, and, and, and, AND . . . . David blessed me with special sacred oil that was blessed at the Orthodox Shrine of Saint Irene around the corner. I'm convinced that I made it through that crapshow at the ticketing counter because Irene was guiding and protecting me . . . or, maybe protecting others from me . . . whatever, thank you David and thank you, Saint Irene. 
 
So, it's a direct flight from NYC to Cairo, which, I've discovered on other flights has its plusses and minuses. Near as I can figure, Cairo time is about six hours ahead of daylight savings time in the USA. 
 
So, we are scheduled to leave at 6:30 PM today and arrive at 11 AM tomorrow. Which I figure will be around 5 PM in my body. We are scheduled to be greeted at the airport and whisked away to our hotel (which reportedly faces the Sphinx and the Pyramid of Giza), eat supper, and then, TBTG, allowed to crash.
 
I think maybe this company has done this before, right? 
 
We ease into Cairo and our environs the next day, getting acquainted and oriented and (oh, joy!) hearing meditations from Sr. Joan Chittister, our Pilgrimage Spiritual Guide (I KNOW, right? Can you stand it? I'm anxiously awaiting her appearance at the airport gate.) 
 
On the third day, we board a plane and fly to Aswan, where we will then board a riverboat on the Nile. This is where we will enjoy breakfast and dinner every day and sleep while the boat takes us to our next sacred place. A fellucca - a small Egyptian boat - will take us to and from the riverboat to land every day.
 
Riding and eating and sleeping on the Nile! Cleopatra ain't got nothin' on me, kids!
 
Looks like we WILL hit all the usual spots like the Kom Ombo and the Temples at Edfu and Luxor and the Karnak Temple and the Obelisks of Queen Hatshepsut, the only female Pharoah, and the Valley of the Kings and Queens - because, I mean, seriously! I'm here! Why not?- but these places will be viewed through the perspective of what we know from scripture about Moses and the Holy Family and the Desert Mothers and Fathers as given in meditations by Sr. Joan. 
 
I can hardly sit still I'm so excited.
 
I feel so enormously blessed and privileged to have this opportunity. And, honestly? I'm excited to have you all along with me. You all have been great travel companions in the past and I have absolutely no doubt you will be this time, as well. 
 
So, welcome. Come with me! See what I see. And, if you have been here before, please don't hesitate to give me some information and any suggestions or hints you may have.
 
This is going to be SUCH fun! Onward!

No comments: