Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Masks


I am always startled and then shaken when I run into this quote by James Baldwin. It's especially poignant since James was a Black man in the Civil Rights Movement and a Gay Man when it was even more dangerous than being a Black man.

One of the most revolutionary things to happen to me was knowing this kind of love - personally, emotionally, spiritually, intimately - that picked me up, twirled me around, and set my life on a completely different path from the one I was on and the one I could never have imagined.

Years later, and after lots of reflection, I understood that this love was to prepare me to experience the unconditional love of God that gives you the courage to take all the masks off in public, with impunity.

This maskless love gives you the strength to accept the consequences of such radical, self-love which can only come from knowing that no matter what you do or who you think you are or where you think you're going, God loves you because God has seen you and knows you without all the masks you have created for yourself, and loves you still.

It's not that you don't care anymore. It's that you care more deeply about God's love than the approval of others.

So, g'won. Take off the mask(s). Just for today.

It's too hot, anyway.

Rest secure in the knowledge that God loves you far beyond the limits of the eyes in your head, even deeper than the eyes of the heart beating in your chest, and more than the eyes of your imagination which yearn to break free from behind the very masks it has created.

Be blessed!

No comments: