Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Just a friendly little reminder

I've been getting some very nasty notes from some of the neo-puritan, so-called orthodox, conservative evangelical crowd who seem to have cornered the market on nastiness.

They are in a particular snit because I won't let them dump their trash here.

Imagine!

They say that when I don't allow them to post their noxious messages in this space, I'm not being 'inclusive'. That's because the world they live in so certain and smug and secure, so black and white without any nuances or shades of gray, they wouln't recognize "discernment" if it stared them in the face.

They have "Jeeeesssssuuuuussss," remember? I don't. My faith is "apostate," "in authentic" and the bible I read is "counterfeit."

But, they don't hate me. Oh, no, no, no! How could they? They are Christian.

Yeah, well, I agree with those commercials on You-Tube. If that's the definition of Christian, count me out. Instead, just call me a "Christ-follower."

I'm not at all convinced they are Episcopalian.

So, a reminder. I wrote about this when I first started this blog in June of 2006.

This is a BLOG - not a discussion group. You may read something here which prompts you to say that you disagree or agree. There is a mechanism for that in the 'Comments' section. I will remind you that the comments here are closely monitored. I read them all, but I discern whether or not to post them.

I often post comments that disagree with my position, but only those that are free of adhominum attacts - on me or anyone else.

Bottom line: This is a Blog. It's MY blog. I get to decide who prints responses here.

If you want to debate someone on points I have made, go find another blog.

If you are searching for information, go to a library. Or, use "google" or any search engine of your choice.

If you "just really want to know more about this from a (fill in the blank) revisionist/lesbian/liberal/_________" it is my position that cyberspace is not the appropriate forum in which to have that kind of conversation.

If you want to "just really want to know more about this" from ME, make an appointment and come and see me. In person. Look me in my eyes. Let me look in your eyes. This is precisely why God chose to come among us in the flesh. Hearts and minds are only fully engaged by the Incarnation of our humanity.

Remember: This is not a forum for discussion. Other progressive blogs may choose to have that feature, but frankly, I simply don't have time to engage in discussion in that way. You may leave your comments here - in agreement or disagreement with me - if they are not snarky, or contain personal attacks.

If you want someone to agree with you, go to a conservative, or orthodox blog.

Thanks.

Now, I'm going out into the world to be about my Mother's business.

6 comments:

JimMollo said...

Giddy up! (Translation of postmodern lingo: Giddy up = Amen)

episcopalifem said...

((((Elizabeth))))

I'm glad you are around to be about our Mother Christ's business.

Blessings to you and YOUR blog!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Grace, thank you for your very sweet note. Thank you for having confidence in God's confidence in me and my ministry.

Be assured that it does not go unnoticed or unapreciated.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with conversation and dialogue. I simply do not believe that cyberspace is the appropriate forum for it.

That's because I believe so strongly in the Incarnation.

One last point, Grace: What these "nasty boyz" want is not conversation or even dialogue. They do not want relationship. That is obvious from the insulting, demeaning, argumentative tone of their emails.

I do believe that it grieves the very heart of Jesus to engage in converation that does nothing to edify the Spirit of Jesus.

Thanks for your thoughtful note, Grace. God be with you.

JimB said...

I finally had to turn moderation on for my rather small blog. The hateful remind us in many ways that we need the barriers to keep the barbarians at bay.

Sad, but there it is.

FWIW
jimB

t.l.h.heller said...

There was a point in my life when I realized I was not truly living my own life, but was superficially doing the things expected of me--by my mother, father, husband...and then I woke up. And I still have the small sign mounted on the bathroom wall that came to me as an epiphanic gift from the universe: 'It's my tub, it's my duck, and I'll make it quack any way I want.' Probably not particularly profound to most people, but then that's the point, isn't it? Many days it has been my own friendly little reminder to be intentional, purposeful, and mindful. Sounds to me like you have made a perfectly good rule along the same lines. Quack on!

Lisa Fox said...

Amen to your "ground rules," Elizabeth. What grieves me is that I know what kind of hate-filled notes you must receive. And I just hope you've developed a very "quick-draw" on the "delete" trigger without reading their garbage. Angels defend and attend you, my sister!