Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Friday, September 05, 2008

I don't get it.


Why are they so angry?

I couldn't watch McCain's speech last night. My stomach is still in a knot after watching and listening to Rudy Guilani and Sarah Palin. Too much sarcasm, cheap-shots and sucker-punches. No substance or strategy.

Dare I say it? Not even any hope.

After watching McCain's speech on YouTube this morning, this is the 'money quote' for me: "Let me just offer an advance warning to the old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second crowd: change is coming."

Change is coming? Isn't that the Democratic message?

And, who, exactly, is the "old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second crowd"? Certainly not the opposition who are young, fiscally-responsible, and fired up to serve - and change - this country?

Sheesh! I suppose this is designed to steal the thunder from their opponent's theme. Can't they even be original? Well, the best I can say is the Rove Political Machine may not realize this but imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery.

Another "Sheesh!": Why did the only criticism of his very worthy opponent consist of lies? Just one example: He said that Obama is opposed to nuclear power. Not true!

Was that his best shot? I really thought he'd go after Reproductive or Human Rights - probably the Democratic ticket's weakest point with the Republican Evangelical base, which was newly energized by Ms. Palin's nomination.

Nope.

Beyond the usual rhetoric of political rally, I haven't heard one instance of either Obama or Biden attacking either McCain or Palin, never mind telling lies about either of them. I trust that won't happen, either. If it does, you can be certain that I'll be firing off a letter to my local chapter of the Democratic Campaign.

There was no mention of immigration reform or global warming. No strategy. No hope. Just all political rancor - albeit without the nastiness which his running mate Ms. Palin, displayed for us the other night. (Remember her? Ms. Congeniality?)

We can do better than that - all of us, Democrat and Republican. We can be witty and pointed when we 'attack' our opponent's perspectives and strategies. But lies and rancor, nastiness and sarcasm are simply as off-limits as a the Palin family's current situation with either a pregnant teen or a handicapped child. Or, the Obama girls.

The Republican Party is in power - has been for the last eight years. Why are they acting as if it weren't?

Wait. Hang on. I think I got it.

They're not. Well, they're in power, but not in control. That much is painfully obvious.

Unless Mr. McCain and Ms. Palin can drop the partisan rancor, stick to the issues, speak to the 'bread and butter' (and fuel) concerns at home, offer at least an outline of foreign policy, immigration reform and global warming, and conduct a civil, public debate, well, the change Mr. McCain seeks won't be the one he gets - not from a White House he occupies, anyway.

BTW, there is a quote that's been all over the internet which is quite good. It's a response to Ms. Palin's sarcastic comparison between her role as governor vs. Barack Obama's former role as a community organizer.

I've been wondering where it came from. A tip of my baretta to the Rev'd Sandye Wilson for locating the source:

"Mrs. Palin needs to remember that Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was a governor." MJR, Michigan, in the comment section of the NYT.

I think it's so good, I've added it to my blog role of favorite quotes, which you can find to your right. I'll be adding others as I find them, but the one from FranIAm giving us some advice about making it through this Season of Presidential Election is also worth underscoring.

"Stay positive.
Be angry - it can move us ahead. Let's not use it against each other.
Don't like someone's post? Stop reading it. Don't comment.
Be hopeful."

Somebody say 'Amen.'

PS - To keep up with Alaskan politics - including a copy of the 63-page "vetting document" for Sarah Palin, check out this site.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen!

Daily Kos has a quick little point that I thought was cute, a quote from McCain:

I fight for Americans. I fight for you. I fight for Bill and Sue Nebe from Farmington Hills, Michigan, who lost their real estate investments in the bad housing market.

They lost their investments? Wait, I need to get a tissue to wipe away the tears...

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Here, darling, have one of mine. I went out this morning and stocked up on tissues and barf bags. I think we're going to need it between now and November.

Anonymous said...

They are turning to the usual politics of the Republicans. Make it all about character (John McCain's POW status), never about issues, (They have none), and the liberal biased media (which is non-existent but the average voter thinks is real. That's how they win. Divide, anger, fear, them/us, it's the usual playbook. The scare is that it has worked a lot for them. I remain worried.

Fran said...

Today I went to hear Greg Mortensen speak. If you do not know who he is, run-do not walk -run to a bookstore or library and get Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time.

He spoke at the convocation at Fairfield University... my friend and I drove (in my 35 mpg car) over 6 hours roundtrip to hear him.

I will post about this, but why am I blathering on in this comment about this?

The primary message of Greg Mortensen is hope not fear, hope not fear.

I am not sure that McCain/Palin would agree.

Thank you so much for noting my words. I know my own tendency towards anger, its dark and seductive call... I do not want to go there, I want to chose hope.

If I say it out loud publicly and often enough, I will simply have to do that more often than not.

Katie Schwartz said...

I don't know how you could stomach it, doll. I couldn't do it. You are a brave dame.

I read that the repubes kept hocking for change-- I couldn't agree with you more, WHAT CHANGE?! Riding the Obama/Biden wave of true and meaningful change isn't really going to help, especially when McCain PROUDLY stands behind Bush Cheney and says as much every chance he gets.

Missy said...

"Let me just offer an advance warning to the old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second crowd: change is coming."

Sounds like he's endorsing Obama.