Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fall Clergy Day


Every year at this time, clergy (at least in The Episcopal Church) are gathering for one of two times in the program year for some time with each other and our bishop.

There will be some presentations, some information gathering and sharing, but mostly, it will be a 'Clergy Rally Day' of sorts. Pep talks about the newly-Christened Diocesan Mission Statement. Encouragement to have our work at the local level reflect the mission of the diocese.

I don't know too many clergy who have time for this sort of all-day gathering. I know even fewer who woke up this morning, bounded out of bed and said, "Oh Wow! It's Fall Clergy Day!"

Oh, I'll very much enjoy seeing some of my colleagues and catching up but by the time 3 PM rolls around, we'll all be very much ready not to see each other again until Clergy Retreat next month. And, for some of us, even that will come too soon.

Oh, you came here for some reflective thought on some Important Issue of The Day. Try here. Or this one on Mike Huckabee in the Holy Land.

I loved this article "Gays Losing Value to Value Voters" by Candace Chellew-Hodge. Candace. My girl.

Off I go, anyway. It's a one hour drive, so I'm packing some strong coffee and a snack.

I've also packed my sense of humor and positive attitude, so if you're looking for it here, it's not as obvious only because it's already in my briefcase.

Then again, don't you just love those habits the girls are wearing in the picture above? Ah, the good-old Days of Bad Religion, where clergy men wore black suits and women knew their place.

Wait. I think they may still be with us.

Film at 11.

2 comments:

Bill said...

The two nuns in the pic will never get the altitude or air speed of Sally Field in the Flying Nun. Sally's head piece had flight stabilizers, an air scoop and wing flaps. There's just no comparison.

Fran said...

I love the pic! And I also love Religion Dispatches and had read the linked articles you provided.

Waiting to hear more!