Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Wonder of Women


It's amazing what you can read in your doctor's office.

Well, actually, it was my chiropractor's office where I was waiting for more (wonderfully effective) electro-stim and (blessedly amazing) hydroculator pack therapy for the (slowly recovering) pinched nerve in my neck.

But, there it was. In black and white. In Forbes Magazine (of all places).

Forbes actually listed the 100 Most Powerful Women in their September 15, 2008 issue.

Can I just say, "WOW!"???

My mother wasn't exactly the best role model to break any glass window - stained glass or otherwise - but she was strong and bold in her own way, as were all the women in my family, given the times. Feisty is in my DNA.

You have to understand that, in 1975, I couldn't get my own line of credit without my (then) husband's co-signature. Heck, I couldn't even legally change my own name in 1980 without the "written permission" of my (then) ex-husband of 5 years.

So, to read that there are 100 Most Powerful Women IN THE WORLD!!!!! Well, I was, all at once, amazed and delighted and stunned and overjoyed.

Here are the top 10. Go read the article to learn the other 90. And, be amazed!

1. Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany

2. Sheila C. Blair, Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

3. Indra K. Nooyi, Chief Executive, Pepsico

4. Angela Braly, Chief Executive Wellpoint, USA

5. Cynthia Carroll, Chief Executive, Anglo American, UK

6. Irene Rosenfield, Chief Executive, Kraft Foods, US

7. Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State, US

8. Ho Ching, Chief Executive, Temasek, Singapore

9. Anne Lauvergeon, Chief Executive, Areva, France

10. Anne M. Culcahy, Chief Executive, Xerox, US.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

There is a new female CEO of DuPont! I can't think of her name. This was announced a couple of weeks ago.