Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Camino Day 10


Day 10 October 12
9th Stage Padron - O Milladoiro (18 km / 11.2 miles)

We are beginning to make our approach to Santiago. Valerie has very sensibly broken up the trek from Padron to Santiago. I'm not certain but I think there are several reasons for this.

The first, of course, is to continue to Walk in Beauty. "Savor" is a word Valerie uses often. Savor the beauty. Savor the moment. Savor the smell of fresh rosemary or eucalyptus. Savor the ache in your leg/feet. All of these things are part of the beauty of being alive, of being human.

You can't do that when you're pushing through one more mile. The goal is not a marathon. The goal is to learn what Camino has to teach you. The destination is the journey within.

The other reason, I think, is that this saves a good part of Day 11 to have time to do our interior group work in the morning. And, then, a 2-hour walk into the city together. That night, at 7:30 PM, we will have a Pilgrims' Mass and Botafumeiro followed by a fabulous "Farewell Dinner and surprise".

On our final morning (Day 12, Oct 14), after breakfast, we have a guided visit in Santiago. We say farewell and adios at 1 PM. Some of us want to go on to spend the next day in Finisterra. We'll see what we can arrange.

But, I'm getting ahead of my skis. As always.

Today is today. Today is a gift. Today is the present. Today is one more day to walk and consider more aspects of the journey I have been called to take.

Today, I am considering the many conversations I have had with my fellow Peregrino who are "deeply spiritual but not at all religious," many of whom are former Roman Catholics. Their scars are deep. Some are still fresh.

I suspect God has mercy and compassion on each and every one of us as we struggle to get deeper into our own souls so that we might be closer to God.

Buen Camino.

No comments: