Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Camino Day 11


 Camino day 11 (October 13)
10th Stage: O Millandoiro – Santiago de Compostela (6.4 km / 4 mi)

And so the ending begins and something new is about to happen. Today we walk into Santiago. Together. As a group. A strong group. A group of pilgrims who have grown very close to one another because we have shared our stories and our hopes and our dreams as well as our disappointments and our fears.

We have broken bread together at table after limping along together out on the trail. We have shared tears of joy and sorrow in small groups. We have walked along together in complete silence that was filled with meaning.

We have gasped together at the beauty of a flower or the way the sun was situated in the sky at that particular moment or rejoiced to see a bathroom up ahead (or an area in the woods that could be used as a bathroom) where relief was just a few meters away.

It has been an amazing journey in which some of us sought love and others sought forgiveness; some chased the illusive answers to the questions that have haunted them for decades; still others weren't sure why they were here except that there was an unavoidable pull - or push - or call to be here, to do this - for whatever reason.

I wept for joy when I saw the twin spires of the Cathedral of Santiago in the distance. Tonight at 7:30 there will be a special pilgrim's mass. Marley has made certain that the botofumerio will be lit in thanksgiving for our safe journey.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

I will write more later. I hope to have a session of Facebook live when we walk into Santiago. If I'm not too overwhelmed.

Our journey together is not yet over. Thank you for coming all this way with me.

Buen Camino, my friends. Buen Camino.

PS: Here’s to a 46-year journey with my Ms Conroy. It has been a Multo Bom Camino, my beloved! I will say a special prayer of thanksgiving during tonight’s mass at the Cathedral de Santiago.

No comments: