Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Do you believe in equality for Gay and Lesbian People?"


Meet Phillip Spooner from Biddeford Maine.

This is his testimony at the open hearing on Maine's marriage equality bill on April 22, 2009. Nearly 4,000 people attended the hearing, with marriage equality supporters out-numbering the opposition 4 to 1.

Listen carefully for his answer to the question.

Wow. Just, WOW!

8 comments:

motheramelia said...

Add my wows to yours! What a wonderful man and a proud Mainiac. It's too bad his statement hasn't been incorporated into ads against Question 1. I would guess it's because he doesn't use sound bites.

IT said...

I have a bad feeling about Maine. Completely deadlocked. The lies continue to flow. No one seems able to stop them. SO MUCH HATE.

I keep writing passionately on my little GMC blog but with only 8 readers a day I can't say I make any difference.

AND they are also close on Referendum 71: and that's not even marriage!

JayV said...

Thanks for posting this incredible testimony. It certainly needs wider circulation!

Caminante said...

Thank you for posting this moving testimony.

I think in the brief pan of the audience I saw the dean of the cathedral in Portland.

motheramelia said...

I noticed the Dean in the pan also. IT the vote will be very close. We really need to go out and vote and encourage others to do so as well.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned that about the Dean being in the picture. That's three of us who spotted him. I'm thinking we're right.

IT, I don't know. I'm getting positive vibes. It's hard, when there's so much hate, to see the potential for good. Then again, you've had the rug pulled out from under you. Hard to trust when that's happened.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Marriage was made Gender Neutral in Sweden by General Synod today slightly past 10.30 AM. 176 Ayes, 62 Noes, 11 Abstentions. Though you might like to know ;=)

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, my dear, how WONDERFUL! Woo hoo!