Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Glasspool Election Receives Consents



O my God! O my God!! O my God!!!

That's about all I can say right now.

When I try to talk about it, I start to weep and get all girly-burbly.

Not to worry. I'll find my voice tomorrow. Right now, all I can say is O my God!

I'd say "A*****a" but we can't in Lent, so I'll just say this:

WOO-HOOOOO!!

INTEGRITY CELEBRATES THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH'S SECOND OPENLY GAY BISHOP AND PROCLAIMS THERE IS NO TURNING BACK ON FULL INCLUSION



FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE



Integrity joins with the Diocese of Los Angeles in celebrating today's announcement that sufficient consents have been received from both Standing Committees and bishops with jurisdiction to the election of the Reverend Canon Mary Glasspool as a bishop suffragan. We look forward to the May 15th ordination service where Canons Bruce and Glasspool will become the 16th and 17th women bishops in the history of the Episcopal Church and to the work and witness they will offer on behalf of the gospel, not only for the Diocese of Los Angeles but for the whole church.
"Integrity continues in its commitment to turn the resolutions of General Convention into realities on the ground for Episcopalians in every diocese," said the Reverend David Norgard, Integrity President. "Today's affirmation of the election of a superbly qualified candidate as a bishop in the Episcopal Church is good news not just for those who work for the fuller inclusion of the LGBT baptized, but for the whole church."
"Today the Episcopal Church said 'Amen' to what the Holy Spirit did in Los Angeles in December when we elected Mary Glasspool," said the Reverend Susan Russell, chair of the Diocesan Program Group on LGBT Ministry and Integrity's immediate past president.. "I've never been prouder to be an Episcopalian or a daughter of the Diocese of Los Angeles--where we are ready to turn this election into an opportunity for evangelism."
"Integrity is part of a nationwide campaign called 'Believe Out Loud'--resourcing congregations to explicitly welcome LGBT people into their work and witness" said Louise Brooks, Integrity's Communication Director and a resident of the Diocese of Los Angeles.  "We are proud to be partners with those across this church and across the country committed to working on both national and local levels for full inclusion. And we believe the election of Mary Glasspool will be an inspiration, not just to those working in our churches, but to those standing outside of them wondering if they are truly welcome. The answer is, "Yes--come and see!"
"As openly gay and lesbian people become a common and unremarkable aspect of the cultural landscape," said Norgard, "more and more bishops will ordain LGBT persons, more vestries will elect them to serve as rectors, more congregations will elect them to vestries, and most importantly, altar guilds will be setting up weddings for two grooms or two brides. We are past the turning point and the forecast for full inclusion in the Episcopal Church is brighter than ever before."
The ordination service for the new bishops suffragan will be held on Saturday, May 15, 2010 beginning at 1:30 p.m. in the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach CA. For more information, contact:
Louise Brooks
Director of Communications, Integrity
tvprod@earthlink.net
626-993-4605

15 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

My first thought: "Thank God that +Gene won't be alone any more!"

I am so proud to be an Episcopalian today.

Pax,
Doxy

Elaine C. said...

Doxy,
That was my first thought too, although there is Bishop Eva Brunne, in Stokholm in a denomination in close relationship with the Church of England.

My other thought was to send a message to a young man who came to see me recently. He grew up as a Latter Day Saint, and was very active and moving up in the denomination ... until he came out. The church disfellowshipped him, and for a couple of years his family did too.

However, because his best friend all through childhood (and now) is a loving fabulous Episcopalian, (and I expect because of the visibility of the Rt Rev Gene Robinson), this broken-hearted young man is now easing his way into finding a home as an Episcopalian.

So, I sent him a message about bishop-elect Glasspool!

Hooray!

Theodora May said...

I know that it is Lent, but ALLELUIA!

JCF said...

[Since you don't want "Alleluias" today ;-/]

O Happy Day! TBTG! :-D

AutumnJoy said...

Celebrating/rejoicing with you - and an A******a under my breath...

AutumnJoy said...

Celebrating/rejoicing with you - and an A******a under my breath...

Mary-Cauliflower said...

My thought was: "Good! Because she is qualified! And boy can she chant!"

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

A great joy! but wasn't it expected? always trust GOD ;=)

Anonymous said...

What a great day it is in the Kingdom of God today!!!!! God bless Mary. God has already blessed the Church with her gifts.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day in the Kingdom of God it is this day. May God bless Mary, as God has blessed the Church with her gifts.

whiteycat said...

What FABULOUS NEWS!!! I've been out all day and without internet access so this is the first I am hearing the great news! Yesssss!

It's St. Patty's Day ... an excuse to say ALLELUIA! We can put it back in the box tomorrow.

I am so proud to be part of TEC!

Kirkepiscatoid said...

What Doxy said. My first thought, too. One is a lightning rod; two is movement.

susankay said...

Thanks be to God

Erp said...

Good news. However it is my understanding that "receives" is spelled with an 'e' before the 'i'.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Good call, Erp. Thank you.