Come in! Come in!

"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean buyer; if you're a pretender, come sit by my fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" -- Shel Silverstein

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Where the Wild Things Were!

This is my bishop, the bishop of Newark, Mark Beckwith, on the right, singing with the bishop of New Jersey, George Councell, on the left.

They were singing together on Friday night at the Diocese of NJ Convention.

I'm told they were singing, "Wild Thing".

Why?

Apparently, because they can.

Just two wild and slightly nerdy guys rockin' out in matching purple shirts to a completely nonsensical but easy to sing to 'oldie-but-goodie' from the 70s.

What's that slogan: "Whoever you are and wherever you are on your faith journey, The Episcopal Church welcomes you."

If you don't believe that after seeing this picture of these two bishops . . . well . . .I'm not sure what it would take to have you believe it.

Okay, somebody get some pans and wooden spoons from the kitchen, turn the pans over and rock out a beat on them with the spoons. Everybody now, sing along:
Wild thing
You make my heart sing
You make everything groovy
Wild thing.

Wild thing, I think you move me
But I wanna know for sure
C'mon, hold me tight.
I love you.

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon wild thing.
Shake it, shake it, shake it, wild thing.
Ah, wild thing.
Rock on, Mark and George!

Rock on!

Photo credit:  Whiteycat

9 comments:

whiteycat said...

And rock on they did following a rockin' great sermon by Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori at the liturgy preceding the banquet. The Holy Spirit is alive and well in New Jersey!

suzanne said...

Throw in the Bishop of Delaware and...well anything is possible.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I didn't give any photo credits in order to protect the innocent.

I know the Bishop of Delaware. He IS a 'wild thing'.

Allie said...

It was fun, in a dorky, almost pathetic sort of way

Janet Detter Margul said...

So jealous am I. Please, Lord, bless Bishop Stanton and move his heart away from the destruction of the Episcopal Church and towards the love of all of God's creatures. And please bless the parishes under him, that they may hear the wisdom and love of Your voice louder than the voice of our bishop right now.

(moderate this out, or not, your choice. I just had to write it.)

Padre Mickey said...

Pardon me, but as one of the Rock n Roll priests, I simply must point out that Wild Thing, originally written by Chip Taylor and released in 1965, and then by the Troggs, released in 1966, which makes it a "60's" song. Versions were released in the mid-1970's, but they weren't as cool as the Troggs' version, or the comedy versions with imitators of Evertt Dirkson and Robert "Bobby" Kennedy.

Carry on, or, at least, wake up.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oops, Padre. Guess you set me 'straight'. Not an easy feat. Many a brave man has tried.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I join your prayers for Bishop Stanton - who would never be considered a 'wild thing'. Still too Presbyterian.

Bruce said...

I get by with a little help from my friends!